1st Trimester
Options

Dental staff and using Nitrous on patients

Did you or would you work on a patient who is requests Nitrous Oxide? Any dentists/hygienist/assistants on here that can give me some feedback. Did some online research. Majority of info I could find said not to use "just in case".
imageBabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Dental staff and using Nitrous on patients

• Options

Laughing gas? It should be fine. Some L&D even use it during delivery. You can get regular dental work (with topical/gum injects) during pregnancy. Just tell them you are pregnant. What is your question?

https://www.pregnancy.com.au/resources/topics-of-interest/labour-and-birth/nitrous-oxide-for-pain-relief-in-labour.shtml

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I work in a dental office and can be exposed to it regularly or daily. I'm asking if other dental office workers worked directly with it during pregnancy, or requested to not work with it. I'm not talking about a one time use a patient. Thank you though.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagegreen0501:
    I work in a dental office and can be exposed to it regularly or daily. I'm asking if other dental office workers worked directly with it during pregnancy, or requested to not work with it. I'm not talking about a one time use a patient. Thank you though.

Are you huffing it in great amounts? Like, enough to feel it? My SIL is a dentist & is around it through all three of her pregnancies. If you are getting loopy when administering it then I would talk to your boss. This is an excellent question for your doctor. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Do not work in direct contact with it. From the research I've done, it has been shown to cause spontaneous abortions. I'm a hygienist and my work is not scheduling me any patients that require nitrous, its not a risk I'm willing to take.
  • Options

imagetripletoe:
    Do not work in direct contact with it. From the research I've done, it has been shown to cause spontaneous abortions. I'm a hygienist and my work is not scheduling me any patients that require nitrous, its not a risk I'm willing to take.

I am interested in this research. Could you post this information source. Everything I have seen/read/been told by those in the field has been the complete opposite. Please post for all to learn! 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

I stand corrected.

It appears that there is some hazards associated with high concentrations & exposure. However, you should have appropriate safety gear in place. 

Effects on Humans: Nitrous oxide is an asphyxiant at high concentrations. At lower concentrations, exposure causes central nervous system, cardiovascular, hepatic, hematopoietic, and reproductive effects in humans [Hathaway et al. 1991]. At a concentration of 50 to 67 percent (500,000 to 670,000 ppm) nitrous oxide is used to induce anesthesia in humans [Rom 1992]. Patients exposed to a 50:50 mixture of nitrous oxide:oxygen for prolonged periods to induce continuous sedation developed bone marrow depression and granulocytopenia [Hathaway et al. 1991; ACGIH 1991]. Although most patients recover, several deaths from aplastic anemia have been reported [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Neurotoxic effects occur after acute exposure to concentrations of 80,000 to 200,000 ppm and above; effects include slowed reaction times and performance decrements [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Long-term occupational exposure (dentists, dental assistants) has been associated with numbness, difficulty in concentrating, paresthesias, and impairment of equilibrium [Hathaway et al. 1991; ACGIH 1991]. In one study, exposure to 50 ppm nitrous oxide was associated with a decrement in audiovisual performance, but this result has not been duplicated in other studies [ACGIH 1991]. Epidemiological studies, primarily of operating room personnel, have shown increased risks of spontaneous abortion, premature delivery, and involuntary infertility among these occupationally exposed populations [ACGIH 1991; Hathaway et al. 1991].

Acute exposure: The signs and symptoms of acute exposure to nitrous oxide include dizziness, difficult breathing, headache, nausea, fatigue, and irritability. Acute exposure to nitrous oxide concentrations of 400,000 to 800,000 ppm may cause loss of consciousness [Sittig 1991].
    Chronic exposure: The signs or symptoms of chronic overexposure to nitrous oxide may include tingling, numbness, difficulty in concentrating, interference with gait, and reproductive effects.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/nitrousoxide/recognition.html

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I don't think it's possible that enough gets released into the air because then the dentist would be under the effects of it and shouldn't be working on patients. But we never discussed this in dental assisting school.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options

It is obviously fine during delivery...once the baby is developed and pregnancy is pretty much complete.

In dental offices, thats another story. Some practices have scavenging systems to help rid the air of gas, and others do not. My office does not have a system, so its just a no go for me. Also, keep in mind that just because you aren't "feelling" the effects of it doesn't mean you are not inhaling any of the gas. And exposure doesnt mean something bad is guarenteed to happen, but why take that risk? Just my opinion :) 

• Options
    Im a dental assistant and as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I asked the Doctor to allow me to not work with patients on nitrous. I have done enough research to know that it is dangerous on a young fetus. My doctor laughed about it saying the gas is too heavy for me to inhale but said she would respect my request and asked for a note from my doctor.  There are other dangers in a dental office that you should also be careful with. Exposure to amalgam, (removing fillings or even polishing) dangerous. I ended up having a missed mc, but it was good to know it couldnt have been nitrous exposure that caused it since i took percautions. Hope this helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"