Special Needs
Options

Nanny/Sitter background check?

I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but I'm looking for childcare for my children (two of whom have special needs.)

Aside from calling her references, I don't know how to go about doing a background check. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Re: Nanny/Sitter background check?

• Options

If you have someone in mind, you can request that they obtain a background check.  I know in my state, you could go through the Department of Health and Senior Services or the highway patrol.  I believe the highway patrol was more thorough.  To work for a school district, your background check had to go through HP and there was a cost (I think it was around $60).

If you're searching, check out sites like Care.com.  People looking for childcare positions register with the site.  As part of your requirements, you can request a background check and CPR/First Aid certification.  Potential sitters can pay a small fee and have a background check run on themselves.  It can then be made available to you. 

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Options

Wow, and sometimes my job is everywhere.  I happen to work for a background checking company and if you get a nanny through an agency, there's a good chance they've already taken care of the check.  If that's the route you're taking, ask them if they do a background check and if possible, if they can tell you through whom; then do research on that company.  

Most companies in the industry have the same processes and procedures but a standard nanny/child care bgd check should include criminal history, sex offender registry search, driving history, and references.  If they don't, you can check with companies like Intelius (not my company) who are in the consumer business.  They should be able to run the check for you.  

Hope that helps. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Very helpful responses, thank you both. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"