Blended Families
Options

NBFR: Buying a home & credit score

We just purchased a home (yay!) and since then we received a letter in the mail and it states my "new" credit score since completing closing. My credit score has dropped significantly. Is this "normal" for a credit score to lower after a BIG purchase? Just curious if anyone has had any experience with this or if its a red flag? thanks!

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: NBFR: Buying a home & credit score

• Options

Every time someone pulls your credit score info it lowers your score.  did you shop around for banks/ mortgages? if so, then each time you did, they pulled your credit score and it lowered it.  I'm not sure about by how much

Also, when you have a major purchase like a home it affects your debt to income ratio, which would also lower your credit score due to having a mortgage...

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Not when buying a house, no it is not normal. A mortgage should increase your credit score, usually significantly. Who sent this to you? I have never received anything in the mail with my credit score, unless requested it 

I guess it's possible that there would be a small drop at first bc of the bank activity on your report, but it should not be significant.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you sure the mail is legitimate? Companies have to have your permission to pull your credit score, and I've never heard of a lender pulling it again after loan/mortgage papers are signed. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imageholly71087:

Every time someone pulls your credit score info it lowers your score.  did you shop around for banks/ mortgages? if so, then each time you did, they pulled your credit score and it lowered it.  I'm not sure about by how much

Also, when you have a major purchase like a home it affects your debt to income ratio, which would also lower your credit score due to having a mortgage...

except the credit bureaus do not know your income. It makes you less likely overall to get financing/loans if you have a high debt to income, but that should not effect your credit score. 
  • Options

I have heard of a credit score drop due to a new mortgage. The rational is because part of your credit score is based on utilization of your credit. Meaning you just took out a loan and are using 100% of allowable credit line because you haven't made any payments yet. I heard that the drop shouldn't last very long though because you being paying on the credit line and that drops your utilization. Also because it's a new line of credit.

This website is helpful: https://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsInYourScore.aspx

However, I've never heard of someone just sending you your credit score without you requesting it.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    I'm surprised by the responses...yeah it is really common for a huge purchase like a house to wreck your credit for a bit. Your debt to income ratio goes from nothing (because you cant buy or do anything in the months leading up to closing) to a multiple hundred thousand dollar debt very suddenly. It will definitely impact your credit for awhile. As you start to pay it down though it starts to look like good payment history which helps boost your credit. Overall it's temporary but yeah I wouldn't try to go out and buy a car right away
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses ladies. I took a closer look at the document and it was for a power bill that we had established for the home. They said "your security deposit amount is based on your credit score" and below that they included the score. That part seems legit. We have not made a payment on our mortgage, as it is not due for two more months, so thanks for pointing that factor out as well.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"