Preemies
Options

Adopting a Preemie

Hi everyone. This is my first of what may be many posts on this board. DH and I have been TTC for 4 years. In Jan. 2011, we were approved to adopt. Last Friday, we received a call about a birth mother who's water had broken and wanted to meet us. They've chosen us as the adoptive family so unless they change their minds, we should be bringing home a baby girl! However, she's around 33 weeks (at least that's what they thought when she was admitted Friday). Although her water has broken, she hasn't progressed. They're hoping to hold off delivering for as long as possible. When they initially called us about the baby, they said she'd probably be in NICU for a week. But I don't know how they'd know that at this point. If she makes it to 34 weeks, is a long NICU stay usually necessary? I've also wondered what it's like bringing home a preemie and others wanting to visit them. We've been waiting for this for so long, as well as our family and friends. I know they will be so excited but I'm thinking we'll be fairly secluded for a while.

Thanks for any advice!

Me 30/DH 31 Married in June 2003. TTC since 2008. M/c in Nov. 2008. D/x: DOR and MFI 5 cycles of IUI in 2010. IVF #1 in Nov. 2011. ER 11/22. ET 11/25. BFN.

Re: Adopting a Preemie

• Options
    I delivered at 34 weeks and 4 days and DS was in the NICU for 7 days. We were housebound for 2 months. Adults only were able to come over. Parents of young children were not allowed to hold him. Are they able to give the birth mom steroids to improve the baby's lungs? I was able to get partial steroids ahead of time and DS didn't need any oxygen.

12 dpo: HCG = 184 Progesterone = 34
    14 dpo: HCG = 529 Progesterone = 24.6
    My Blog
  • Options
    Honestly, every case is different. My son was born at 34 weeks but was in such great health (for a preemie), doctors said he could have gone home in a day or two had he not had birth defects. It's really hard to say.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on your pontential adoption!  I can't speak for myself about it, but I think there is a post a few below about 34 weekers.  Generally I don't think most late term preemies have long NICU stays since they are usually feeders and growers (meaning they need to learn to take all nipple feeds from bottle, and maintain their temperatures and blood sugar levels).  Of course it's all dependent on the situation since every baby is different. We were told to expect our preemies to come home around their due date and they come home at 38 weeks gestational age.  If you have visitors just make sure they are all well (ask anyone who has been sick to wait for a visit) and that they wash their hands before touching baby.  On the top of the board there is a link to the preemie resource blog for more info.  Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I do believe they are giving the birth mom steroids. When we met with them on Friday, the social worker thought they were.

Me 30/DH 31 Married in June 2003. TTC since 2008. M/c in Nov. 2008. D/x: DOR and MFI 5 cycles of IUI in 2010. IVF #1 in Nov. 2011. ER 11/22. ET 11/25. BFN.
  • Options

First off Congratulations, what wonderful news that your Little girl will be here soon! Praying that BM keeps her baking as long as possible.

My second DD was born at 34w 5d due to PTL and spent 14 days in the NICU mainly because of jaundice, A&B's (apena and brady's), and not gaining weight. It's possible that the baby could have a NICU stay, but each baby is different. 

• Options

My son was born at 29 weeks and came home on due date, but we let people come over to visit right away.  Even kids as long as they did not touch him and the parents swore they were well.  For the first winter, we did a lot of playdates and get togethers and I always asked everyone before if anyone was sick.  I did keep him out of daycare for first few years and instead did nanny a few days and family other days. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I delivered my twins at 33w2d and they were in the NICU for a month, mainly as feeders/growers.  They were breathing on their own and everything, just needed to get bigger.  I'm hoping for a short NICU stay for your little one!  Congratulations!!

ETA: We didn't have visitors over for at least a couple months.

PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Every baby is different, but my 35 weaker was in NICU for 20 days.  She became septic, had possible NEC and was put on bowel rest before we could work on feeding.  Maintaining a temp was also a problem for her.  

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I had my son at 34 weeks. We were in the NICU for a couple of days and then just in the NSCU until he went home. Total time in the hospital was seven days. He didn't have many issues really. We did have to work on the jaundice he had and eating (I was trying to breast feed and it just wasn't working), but other than that he was pretty darn healthy. We were even lucky enough to not have any Apnea's or Brady's.

Developmentally he's actually ahead according to the doctor. He was walking well at 11 months (starting cruising around the furniture at 10 months). He's even getting quite a vocabulary going and is just pretty darn awesome. 

I'd like to say congratulations and I hope everything goes well with your adoption. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Natural MC - 4/18/10 (9 weeks)
    DS was born six weeks early on December 2010!
    Natural MC - 11/21/11 (7 weeks)
    DS born full term on October 2012!
  • Options

My son was born at 34 weeks 2 days and spent 3 weeks and 1 day in the NICU.  He was a feeder and growing and needed the lights for jaundice.

When he came home we didn't keep him isolated, we just had purell available for anyone that came within 2 feet of him. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"