Natural Birth
Options

Evening Primrose Oil

I posted this on my monthly board but it was suggested that you ladies might be able to help me out...

The nurse practitioner at my MFM office has recommended evening primrose oil to help "ripen" my cervix. I have severe cervical stenosis and the MFMs do not think that my cervix is going to dilate...at all. I have been 100% effaced for over a month but my cervix is still high and closed...which is a good things at this point as it is still early.

I am scheduled for an induction on the 21st at exactly 39 weeks. They are going to try and get my cervix to cooperate (could take up to 72 hours they said) using vaginal pills, a balloon catheter, and pitocin, but they still said that there is a strong possibility that I will end up needing a c-section despite their best efforts. I would love to try and do things naturally and avoid a c-section. I bought the EPO tonight but now I am wondering about side effects. I never asked my MFM or nurse practitioner. They did tell me that EPO will not in any way induce labor, it will just help to prepare the cervix for delivery but I am wondering about other side effects such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, etc. Any experience with this? TIA!

Re: Evening Primrose Oil

• Options
    It shouldn't cause any side effects. I took EPO and borage oil and had zero side effects other than it ripening my cervix. Good luck!
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member

I like EPO.  There aren't any good studies on it as a cervical ripener.  That's not to say it doesn't work, just that it's not be studied for that purpose in particular.  Someone started a study in 2003, but I haven't seen results published.

It's got lots of Omega-3s, so from a health standpoint it's beneficial.  Some people take it orally for the prostaglandins, and some use it as a suppository. Some do both.  Your NP probably would suggest you do both.  Sperm is also an effective prostaglandin.  I'll just throw it out there that studies show it to be 10 times more effective when taken orally than when applied directly to the cervix.  

Are they inducing because of the baby's size?  On the one hand, you have an extremely narrow endocervical canal, so a smaller baby would probably fit better.  On the other, if you're someone whose natural gestation time might lead to the cervix not ripening until 41 weeks, then forcing it might not work.  What a tough decision to make all round.  Good luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCelyn:

I like EPO.  There aren't any good studies on it as a cervical ripener.  That's not to say it doesn't work, just that it's not be studied for that purpose in particular.  Someone started a study in 2003, but I haven't seen results published.

It's got lots of Omega-3s, so from a health standpoint it's beneficial.  Some people take it orally for the prostaglandins, and some use it as a suppository. Some do both.  Your NP probably would suggest you do both.  Sperm is also an effective prostaglandin.  I'll just throw it out there that studies show it to be 10 times more effective when taken orally than when applied directly to the cervix.  

Are they inducing because of the baby's size?  On the one hand, you have an extremely narrow endocervical canal, so a smaller baby would probably fit better.  On the other, if you're someone whose natural gestation time might lead to the cervix not ripening until 41 weeks, then forcing it might not work.  What a tough decision to make all round.  Good luck to you!

Thanks so much for your response! They want to induce me due to complications with the pregnancy...a severe clotting disorder, Gestational Diabetes, and CVID (immune disorder). Originally they were talking about inducing me at 37 weeks as I had an AF leak, but it miraculously sealed and they agreed to go to 39 weeks. Hopefully things will happen on their own and I won't have to worry about an induction. 

• Options
    I used it. No side effects. How are you using it? You can take it orally or insert vaginally. I inserted it vaginally because my midwife said she believed it to reduce tearing as well, although she acknowledged there was no research to back this up. I was very afraid of tearing and willing to do anything that might prevent it, and maybe it worked as I didn't tear at all.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"