Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

When is "too old" to see mom naked?

So-  I have a 3 year old son who I shower with and am naked around and it's no big deal.  He knows what my girl parts are called and doesn't seem interested now that he knows their names.

My husband has always been uncomfortable with me being naked around our son and has asked repeatedly when I'll think it's inappropriate to be nude around him.  I don't know when, but it feels fine right now to me.  My son always wants to come in the shower with me and is pretty much my shadow so not being naked in front of him seems very challenging!

When do you think he'll be too old for it to be appropriate anymore.  I'm looking for some honest answers here  :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: When is "too old" to see mom naked?

• Options
    Honestly, when either you or him feel uncomfortable.  From what I have been told by moms w/older children their child would tell them/make it clear when they no longer felt comfortable.  So I would just follow his lead.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it's just a personal thing, everyone is different.  Within the past couple of weeks my son has became kind of fascinated when I dress or undress...it makes me uncomfortable so I have stopped going in the buff when he's around.  I think learning to respect a person's space and privacy is important too.  If your H is really uncomfortable maybe you can make a compromise to appease him.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that at a certain age they or you might become uncomfortable...I know that I am not but DS is totally oblivious to MH & I though DD is much more curious & apt to talk about it...perhaps b/c she & I are the same sex it doesn't bother me at all but MH mentioned recently that he feels like she stares at him if he is in the bathtub & she comes in sometimes when he is in there so he usually just blocks the view subtly with a hand and also will kind of quickly throw a towel on when he gets out... I am fine with that, she is 3 and we are talking about privates & not showing them to ppl etc a lot so it is NBD & he isn't all crazy about it. Like pp said at daycare they all pee & stuff in front of each other but DD has made a number of comments regarding the difference in size between her brother & father so she is clearly noticing things & I know MH never knows what to say...I just butt in and say oh that is because daddy is an adult and DS is a  boy! 
  • Options

Within the past few weeks, I've decided that it's not right for us to shower together anymore, it's just becoming uncomfortable, but he still walks in when I'm changing, and that doesn't seem to bother anyone, so that's fine. I think it's all individualized and personal, and especially situational.

imageimage

• Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    DS will be 3 on the 17th. We shower together almost daily. Or he showers with DH. He sees us naked all the time. It's NBD. Yesterday DS asked where my penis was and I had a laugh. But that's about as curious as he gets. When we feel it's getting uncomfortable, we will stop. But right now it's fine and DS loves his showers. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I read in the "What to Expect in the Toddler Years" book that you should stop when you child starts wanting privacy when they are naked. I think this won't happen until much later on. 

I shower with my son every day and we probably won't stop until he started not wanting to be naked with mom anymore. I am guessing that is a few years away tho.  

DS 10/27/09, 5lb. 15oz., 18in., Emergency C-Section, TTC soon!, hoping for a VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/guineas12/?action=view
  • Options
    MrsSRMrsSR member

DH stopped because DD makes him uncomfortable.  Around 18 months she started to say things like, "Daddy has a penis.  Mommy has a 'gina.  I have a 'gina."

He doesn't like her mentioning the word "penis" because he thinks it's just odd. 

I am still naked around her and it doesn't bother me when she mentions my 'gina. 

I think it's different though when your child is of the same sex.  If I had a son I probably wouldn't be naked in front of him anymore at this point.

• Options

Ummm I still see my Mum and Dad naked. They're 72, and I'm 34. It's not a daily occurrence, but they're not afraid to wonder from their bedroom/bathroom naked, or to swim naked in their pool, and not too bothered who sees them.

Dad does hold his briefs in front of himself in some sort of nod to discretion.

I agree that it does feel different when child is of a different gender. I also think it depends on how you deal with privacy in your own home. When we're out I explain to DD1 that we close the toilet cubicle door because it's private, or go into changing rooms because getting changed is private. But at home I'm not too fussed about closing doors.

I think generally kids will let you know when they're uncomfortable. I'm still working out how to let Mum and dad know ;-) 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"