Natural Birth
Options

Curious if you all have heard of this...

I've been doing a lot of research on natural birth to help me prepare and have come across a lot of women who have found singing helpful during their labor. Have any of you ladies heard or tried this or have any feedback to give me- positive or negative?

This is the first I've heard of it, so I'm curious what you all think.

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Curious if you all have heard of this...

• Options
    in everything I've read, "singing" is a euphemism for the low-pitched groan women sometimes make in labour. I've never heard of anyone really singing.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageannabelle.27:
    in everything I've read, "singing" is a euphemism for the low-pitched groan women sometimes make in labour. I've never heard of anyone really singing.

At first, I thought it surely wasn't talking about real singing- but there are all sorts of websites and videos talking about it. I thought it was odd, so I was curious if it was new to just me. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecbrookegrow:

imageannabelle.27:

At first, I thought it surely wasn't talking about real singing- but there are all sorts of websites and videos talking about it. I thought it was odd, so I was curious if it was new to just me. 

interesting. Personally I can't see keeping my mind on singing in advanced labour (I had to work up all my energy just to get a couple words out when asked a direct question) but I guess I could see how it might help some people.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    There is evidence that there is a strong link between vocal cords and the uterus relaxing.  My prenatal yoga class has us practice vocal toning.  While it isn't quite the same, i'd say it's pretty similar. Sing away!
    If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me. - Led Zeppelin
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    imageimage image
    Chemical Pregnancy 10/5/10
    BFP 2/7/11--m/c 2/12/11
    TTD pics taken by knottie jen&louie :o)
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member

Vocalization is very helpful in labor.  If you can find the tone that resonates in your uterus, even better.  One of my favorite labor videos is of a woman singing: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WA9iHz5ww 

• Options
    I didn't sing through any of my labors, but I did find vocalization incredibly helpful during DDs birth. It was my main coping mechanism throughout. It wasn't, however, anything I planned on doing, and was much more silent through DS1 and DS2s labors (with other coping mechanisms).
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    During transition I would hum during exhale, it helped a lot.  If you ask my MIL she says I 'sang through my labor".  But seriously it was only humming.  The truth of the matter is, none of us knows what is gong to help until we are actually in labor.  Prepare for this along with other techniques and figure out what works best for you.  The more ideas you have, the better off you will be :)
  • Options
    imageCelyn:

Vocalization is very helpful in labor.  If you can find the tone that resonates in your uterus, even better.  One of my favorite labor videos is of a woman singing: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WA9iHz5ww 

I was really inspired by that video too and was disappointed when I couldn't find it in me to sing at all during my first labor. Something I have discovered this time around is that Temple was using her Hypnobabies center switch in that video. Now that I'm doing Hypnobabies I'm wondering if I'll actually be able to sing during my birthing time this time. We'll see. :o)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback. I am just trying to have a variety of techniques to try to help with relaxation and I'll do whatever to help work through labor!
  • Options

I sang! Sort of...

I hadn't ever heard of singing during labour so it wasn't anything planned, but I did have some of my favourite calming music playing and found myself singing along at times. It really helped to keep me calm and gave me something else to focus on.

• Options

I have not heard of this but it does not surprise me.

Singing and music in general engages the brain in a very interesting way.  Think, for instance, of how easy it is to remember a song.  Then consider how complex that song actually is.  Lyrics, melody, key, tempo, etc. 

I can imagine especially during the early stages of labour, singing would be a great help.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"