Natural Birth
Options

Group B Antibiotics Alternatives

I tested positive for group B strep and really don't want to receive IV antibiotics to treat it.  First, I plan on laboring at home as long as physically possible and if my water breaks I would need to go in for the IV, and second, after doing some research, I know I don't have increased risk factors for passing the bacteria to my baby and don't think the percentages for successful treatment outweigh the possible cons of receiving the IV. 

So- anyone know of natural remedies to try and rid myself of group B strep?  I've read garlic, echinacea, and vitamin C but have no idea in what amounts or when to start/stop treatment.  Any help would be appreciated.   Thank you.

Re: Group B Antibiotics Alternatives

• Options
    My midwife recommended baths with a quarter cup apple cider vinegar (specifically the brand "Braggs" which I found in the organic food section at the grocery store).  I'm not sure how often the baths are needed - every few days, every other day?    
  • Options
    Tash13Tash13 member
    If I had been GBS+ this time I would have done the sanitizing sprays (can't remember the name) periodically after my membranes ruptured and/or the injected antibiotic instead of the bag.  Also, I'm planning on a water birth which greatly diminishes the chances of GBS passing to the baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageICarriedAWatermelon:
    I'm all for natural birth (being here and all), but I'm also a physician and I've treated neonates with bacterial meningitis (GBS or otherwise). Based on my personal experience, I would NEVER consider having IV antibiotics too inconvenient for me to forgo. That's my opinion; you do what you want.

I'm not saying IV antibiotics is inconvenient, just not proven to be effective enough for me to want to go that route if I can do anything at home as an alternative.  Ensuring the health of my child would never be a decision based on convenience- not saying that's what you said, just making sure that feeling didn't come across in my original post. 

• Options

Thanks ladies for the advice.  Unfortunately I'm delivering in a hospital with no access to a tub in the labor rooms Crying  My husband was just not comfortable with the idea of a home birth with a midwife, so I compromised and have a very strict birth plan written and have had lengthy talks with my OB about being as intervention free as physically possible...hopefully by baby #2 DH will be on board with a birthing center or home birth. 

And secondary- thanks for all the specific suggestions.  I'd heard about the garlic a while ago and had forgotten about it, thanks for the reminder!

• Options

I'll preface this with I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  However I trust the information below because it was given to me in a handout, a few months ago, by the birth center here in our town.  This is the protocol the midwives and OBGYN at the birth center use.  Notice you choose EITHER the essential oil protocol OR the tampon protocol - not both.  I found the essential oils to be way too expensive so I'm going the tampon route.  Here is their protocol for GBS:

1.  Get more rest.  Rest during the day and get more sleep before midnight. You may need to reduce your workload or recruit help to do this.

2.  Hygiene:  Strep love to live in the rectum, so wipe front to back.  Always use clean cloths when bathing.  Launder undergarmets in HOT water and / or bleach.  Use 1 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle.  (I'm also using baby wipes to wipe rather than toilet paper for now)

3.  Reduce or eliminate simple sugars.  These are found in sweets, cake, cookies, donuts, chocolate, sweet tea, soda, etc.  Infectious organisms thrive on high levels of glucose.  Refined sugar also has the effect of weakening your immune system. 

4.  Drink plenty of pure water.  You can add a bit of lemon or healthy herbal tea to the water, but nothing else.  

5. Eliminate ALL caffeine from your diet; it weakens the immune system.

6.  Eat more greens.  Add one large mixed salad per day or one or more servings of cooked greens for the minerals and vitamins.

7.  Take Vitamin C with Bioflavanoids (500 mg every 4 waking hours)

8.  Take 2 garlic tablets / caps per day

9.  Echinacea can be taken either as a tea or tincture (drops in a liquid) 3 times daily.  To make the tea, use 1 oz of the root to 1 pint of boiling water and steep for 6-8 hours.  It is specific to strep and staph infections and stimulates the body's defense systems.

10.  Take probiotics daily (acidophilus-binfidus)

11.  Essential Oil Protocol OR Tampon Protocol:

Essential Oils:  It is imperative that the oils are high quality.  Put the following in a Double O gelatin or vegetable capsule:  (MAKE SURE you are buying the edible types of essential oils, not the type that you use to make your house smell good - they are often sold in the same area of the health stores!!!)

5 drops lemon essential oil

3 drops oregano essential oil

5 drops Mountain Savory essential oil 

Tampon:  Soak an organic tampon in 1.5 tsp olive oil (high quality) and 10 drops of tea tree oil.  LEave soaked tampon in overnight for 6-10 hours.  Do this daily for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy.  If needed you can retest for GBS after 14-21 days of treatment.

12.  Other Methods (instead of essential oil or tampon):

-Garlic Clove:  Insert peeled garlic clove (with string attached - stick a needle w/ a string on it through the clove and tie knots) into vagina nightly for 3-5 nights.

13.  Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) Protocol for Labor:

-Chlorhexidine vaginal wash at the onset of labor or at the rupture of membranes, whichever comes first, repeated every 6 hours.  You can purchase at most drug-stores.  Method:

-2 tbsp Hibiclens (4% Chlorhexidine solution) mixed w/ 20 oz sterile water

-You may be most comfortable in a squatting or sitting position (even on the toilet) or lying down with your hips slightly elevated. 

-Put 4 oz of the mixture into a periwash bottle.  USe entire amount for each application.

-Slowly instill the solution into the vagina under very gentle pressure using a peribottle

-Begin at onset of labor or rupture of membranes and repeat every 6 hours. 

-A woman can self-administer the flush herself or w/ assistance from a spouse

• Options

I am gbs+ also and this is what my doula sent me when I asked her: 

#1 if you retest and test negative, do they still connect you to an antibiotic?

#2 you will do super doses of probiotics on your nipples and internally for you and for baby. 

OPTIONS for testing negative
    Echinacea Tincture - once per day - you can get this in a capsule too.
    Cinnamon Tea (3 sticks in one pint of water)
    Acidophilus - 6 capsules a day 
    Vitamin E 400IU daily
    High potency Garlic 6capsules daily
    Vitamin C 500mg daily

option #2
    break off and peel a clove of garlic, insert high into the vagina before bed, sleep with it in, remove in the morning, usually comes out on its own with first mornings pee or poop. You can stitch a string to it to pull it out easier. Repeat this for 5 nights on the 6th day get the GBS test. Before going to your apt wash perineum and rectum with soapy water and put on clean underwear.

I was under the impression that there is no surefire way to completley clear your system of it, but at least you can flush it out in hopes of getting a negative result and avoid the penicillin. My doctor will still do the iv even if i retest negative 

• Options

I'm all for natural birth (being here and all), but I'm also a physician and I've treated neonates with bacterial meningitis (GBS or otherwise). Based on my personal experience, I would NEVER consider having IV antibiotics too inconvenient for me to forgo. That's my opinion; you do what you want.

I agree with this.  I'm all for natural just-about-everything... but this isn't something I'd risk.  It's just too scary, IMO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagesecondaryPULSE:

Research shows that outcomes of treating GBS+ mamas with ABX vs hibiclens  vs no treatment has the same morbidity level in the NB.  Hibiclens has the advantage of not breeding antibiotic resistant microbes (the big one here being E. Coli). 

https://summaries.cochrane.org/CD007467/intrapartum-antibiotics-for-known-maternal-group-b-streptococcal-colonization

https://summaries.cochrane.org/CD003520/vaginal-chlorhexidine-during-labour-to-prevent-early-onset-neonatal-group-b-streptococcal-infection

Several remedies to try (google for more specific instructions): Yogurt (unsweetened) on a tampon, or as lube (haha, yogurt sex!), or a crushed clove of garlic in the vagina at night. Supplementation with vitamin C/echinacea. There are lots of natural remedies to try. You can always ask to be re tested (also worth mentioning--there is a rapid GBS test available so you can be tested in labor). 

As a PP mentioned, waterbirth is a great way to reduce the risk of transmission to the babe. Research in this area is very promising. 

I also think it's prudent for a woman that tests GBS + to know the signs/symptoms of GBS infection of the newborn, so be sure you're familiar with those things (unstable body temp, poor feeding, excessive fussiness, difficulty breathing, lethargy, etc).

Anyways, just know that there are many options when it comes to  treating GBS. It is very serious, but it seems that the current model of care is not evidence based. GL!

I would love to bring up more literature, but unfortunately am on iPhone for next week (due to vacation, so really can't complain, I guess). Forgive my abbreviations.

Any child w the above symptoms under 30 days (and most under 90 days) will get a septic workup, including chest XR, bloodwork, urinalysis, blood and urine cultures and spinal tap. Then they are admitted to hospital until cultures come back neg (takes 48 hrs). You're right that ANY woman should be on alert for serious bacterial infection. I actually had this done when I was a neonate, tho clearly I recall none of it! I work in the emergency room, and these patients are not that infrequent.

My point is that given the frequency of febrile illness in the neonate, given the standard of care in the practice of pediatrics is to administer perinatal abx, given the relatively minor inconvenience of receiving such abx, and assuming the worry as a mother that I had doneeverything possible to prevent any serious bacterial infection (which is the purpose of the extended workup listed above), I would choose to have the antibiotics rather than rely on garlic or otherwise to eradicate it.

Either you care about eradicating it or you don't.  IV abx remains the standard of care for this (altho anyone can find research online to support what they want to believe), and I would not put faith in vaginal garlic (or what have you) until there have been randomized controlled trials comparing the outcomes of the two.

Whew. That went longer than I intended. OP and others, I did not intend to imply at all that this is a convenience issue, but I'd be interested in why it's an issue at all for some women. Thanks!

It's an issue (it = antibiotics) because antibiotics wipe out not just the bad bacteria, but the good bacteria.  My 1st child had IV antibiotics and several rounds of oral antibiotics for another infection.  His physician is convinced that it was this insult on his immune system (too many antibiotics at too young of age) that has caused his food allergies.  Basically it wiped out all the good bacteria in his gut and burned "holes" in the lining of his stomach which has caused issues w/ food sensitivities, even 2 years later.  We're still working on getting his flora re-balanced.  In addition, as a PP has stated, research HAS shown that the outcomes for neonates born to GBS + moms have the same outcome regardless of whether or not antibiotics are given.  Some hospitals are finally catching onto the idea that perhaps it's a bad idea to perpetuate superbugs (by giving out antibiotics too readily) and instead they do a wait and see approach w/ the newborn - if any signs of infection, then treat.

You can't prevent everything in life.  You can't protect yourself against everything.  

• Options
    I'm sorry but I'm going to have to agree with the MD who posted on here. I understand about not messing with the normal flora of a newborn but for one, antibiotics for less than 2 days in the hospital aren't what usually cause "superbugs". I'm an RN who has administered the strongest antibiotics for weeks on end without patients getting superbugs. Second of all, I'm a pediatric RN who has seen the results of what happens when a young infant comes in with a fever and the heartache of the parents as they watch their brand new baby get poked and prodded for days on end for blood cultures, urine cultures and a spinal tap. I know you say in your research they aren't finding a difference between treatment and non-treatment but I'd really like to know the situations surrounding those studies and whether or not they're even valid. Because personally, I don't think I could stand to watch my child go through all that at such an early age if there were anything I could've done to prevent it. But thats just my two cents. 

• Options

imageac1259:
    I'm sorry but I'm going to have to agree with the MD who posted on here. I understand about not messing with the normal flora of a newborn but for one, antibiotics for less than 2 days in the hospital aren't what usually cause "superbugs". I'm an RN who has administered the strongest antibiotics for weeks on end without patients getting superbugs. Second of all, I'm a pediatric RN who has seen the results of what happens when a young infant comes in with a fever and the heartache of the parents as they watch their brand new baby get poked and prodded for days on end for blood cultures, urine cultures and a spinal tap. I know you say in your research they aren't finding a difference between treatment and non-treatment but I'd really like to know the situations surrounding those studies and whether or not they're even valid. Because personally, I don't think I could stand to watch my child go through all that at such an early age if there were anything I could've done to prevent it. But thats just my two cents. 

Well, my 7 day old newborn premie went through all the pricking and testing.  At 7 days old he was lethargic and not eating so we took him to the ER.  Of course standard procedure is to do the testing; they also admitted him for monitoring and preventative antibiotics.  Tests came back positive for listeria - After 7 attempts at a spinal tap, they were able to get 1 drop of fluid which came back negative indicating that the original tests were contaminated.  So as suspected, he was perfectly fine except dehydrated (due to a poor latch, due to being a premie).  I was GBS positive, didn't receive antibiotics, my newborn didn't receive any treatment for GBS when he was born - and throughout that WHOLE ordeal 7 days later they never once were worried about GBS.  That said something to me - spoke to how TINY the chance was that he would have had an infection.  In fact I don't think they even tested him for that.

My point is that - as a mom I have had a newborn go through all the testing including spinal taps (nurses holding him down, screaming his head off) but I'd make the same decision again - NO antibiotics. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"