Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Anyone else have a LO older than 3 still use a paci for bed?

I feel like I'm the only one who still lets their 3 yo use a paci. She only uses it at bedtime. My pedi said try to be done before 4 but Im starting to wonder if he's too lax about that because most people seem to be done before 3. We tried taking it away and it was just a nightmare before bed, she was up till like 11 2 nights when I finally caved. My 14 mo old still doesn't STTN so I'm desperate for sleep and don't want to mess with DD's right now. I'm planning on gettig rid of it before Xmas if not sooner but just wondering if anyone else still does after 3.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone else have a LO older than 3 still use a paci for bed?

• Options

(Raising my hand in shame)...me, me, and me. We already did the drastic "No Pacifier" during the entire day type of thing. That was really rough at the beginning, but he eventually got over it. With that said, he won't have the pacifier the entire day while he's playing and hanging out. The only time he gets his paci is the first 10 minutes of his nap, and the first 10 minutes of his bedtime. We let him have a quick "paci fix" and then we tell him he needs to give it to us. And he does....without a fight. However, I am fully aware that I need to take it away from him indefinitely. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to do that.

My little one just turned 3 about 2 weeks ago, so yeah, it's time. Good luck.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think you probably just need to do cold turkey & hold out all night (maybe take the younger one elsewhere to sleep that night, even a differnet part of the house?)...unless the paci fairy will work for her? 

Just based on dentition & stuff I would think 4 is a little late & won't be any easier I wouldn't think. If it makes you feel any better I saw what must have been an almost 5 yr old out at a mall recently walking around w/ one in & talking to her parents around it, it was a little weird LOL. 

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh good. Glad I'm not the only person.  DS is almost 3 1/2 and still has it.   I got a lecture when we took him to the dentist in April so I know we have to get rid of it.  His next dentist appt is in October, so I plan on getting rid of it before then.   I am dreading it.   I know that will mean the end of naps and sucky bedtime and possibly very early wake ups.  

This is why I am so glad that DD never took one.  DS is a major addict.  I've tried taking it away when I check on him before I go to bed.  He'll wake up and ask for it and I'm tired so I give it back. 

• Options

imagesarahns80:
    I feel like I'm the only one who still lets their 3 yo use a paci. She only uses it at bedtime. My pedi said try to be done before 4 but Im starting to wonder if he's too lax about that because most people seem to be done before 3. We tried taking it away and it was just a nightmare before bed, she was up till like 11 2 nights when I finally caved. My 14 mo old still doesn't STTN so I'm desperate for sleep and don't want to mess with DD's right now. I'm planning on gettig rid of it before Xmas if not sooner but just wondering if anyone else still does after 3.

Has she been to a pediatric dentist?  

• Options
    Yes pediatric dentist recommended to be done before 3, :/
  • Options

imagesarahns80:
    Yes pediatric dentist recommended to be done before 3, :/

Eek. I have no advice-but good luck! 

• Options
    My DD doesn't have a paci, but she does suck her thumb at night (and sometimes during the day as well). The dentist said pacis are actually better for their teeth than thumb sucking, so if you stop the paci before she's ready be careful that she doesn't start sucking her thumb instead. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemeg1974:
    My DD doesn't have a paci, but she does suck her thumb at night (and sometimes during the day as well). The dentist said pacis are actually better for their teeth than thumb sucking, so if you stop the paci before she's ready be careful that she doesn't start sucking her thumb instead. 
      We have tried to take the paci away but he sucks his thumb instead and we can't take that away so we are stuck with the lesser of two evils untill we can figure it out wish he had never started he didn't use it untill his first birthday it was a gift gurrr.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"