Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Ugggh LO's teeth grinding makes me cringe!

LO has been grinding his teeth and it's quite audible, it makes me squirm like hearing nails on a chalkboard.  The pedi and my What to Expect book both says it's probably comforting to him, a way to relieve stress or that he just likes the feel or sound of it.  I'm really hoping its a phase that will pass quickly, especially since I have been clenching/grinding my teeth in my sleep since I was about 10 or 11 and have had jaw problems my whole life since.  Hoping for much better for DS!  I'm sure it's related to teething of course, but wondering if there's anything I can give him to help this, I've tried teething rings but he doesn't relaly like them anyway. 

I've been giving him bits of apple and avocado to use his pincers with but he's very slow with the finger food thing.  I just introduced Cheerios to him this weekend and hoping that by getting more solids that he can bite down on, that he can take his urge to grind out on that.  Anyone else going through this?

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)

Re: Ugggh LO's teeth grinding makes me cringe!

• Options

Try a 'Closer to Nature' teething paci. My DD loves them, she can chew on the whole thing or take it out and chews on the side. Here's the one that I have, we love them!! ... <br> 

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11268583

• Options

I agree with previous poster, give a pacifier (if your son uses them) or something else to distract him.  

DD started grinding her teeth right around 9 mos, then she stopped after about a week.  She recently cut more teeth in the back & I just noticed her started up again!   I give her a pacifier when i see/hear her do this.  It drives me nuts!!  I hope she stops again soon!  

Good luck!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yep!  DD did this right after her top two teeth emerged.  She stopped after a week and I thought, "HALLELUJAH!"  Unfortunately it was a short reprieve.  She is back to grinding again and its way worse the second time around. 

We try to distract her.  I give her toys to chew, her sippy cup, snacks, etc.  I also make a loud AHH sound.  I don't do it to correct her - just to redirect her attention.  

Just thinking about the noise has every hair on my arm standing straight up!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"