Baby Showers
Options

If my Hostess is doing something I consider tacky...

Do I ask her not to or just go with it?

I am pretty sure she wants to ask everyone to bring a pack of baby wipes for a game at the shower, but I hate telling people what gift to buy. The reason I think this is that she asked "Are you using cloth diapers and if so are you using regular wipes?"

I answered yes and yes, then realized why she probably asked.

I think next time that it comes up I'll probably say something like "We are planning to use organic wipes only in this specific brand," and hopefully that will discourage her. But is that treading on "planning your own shower" ground?

11/27/12
First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
Twins born into Heaven 
BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020

Re: If my Hostess is doing something I consider tacky...

• Options

Honestly, that would probably make the problem worse because she'd be likely to tell people to buy ONLY $15/pack wipes.

I think you can ask her what she has planned, tell her it all sounds fabulous, but you'd prefer not to ask for any extras.

• Options

She might just want to know for when people ask what kind of diapers and wipes to gift you with (people love to give both of those things as little add-on gifts), but if you are pretty sure she is planning something that really offends you, and assuming she's a good friend, couldn't you just say "Hey I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but is there any way we can skip the having people bring baby wipes thing? I feel so weird about that type of thing." That way, you're not calling her out on her tackiness, but you are letting your feelings be known. Imagine if you tell her you're only using this specific expensive organic brand, and then that mandate shows up on the invite. Then you will really be posting on this board!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd stay out of the planning.  Just enjoy being a guest at your own shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options
    I would let it be.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I spoke to my sister about things early one, when she was asking for my opinion.  I just mentioned that I personally don't care for an requests for specific things (like the diapers or wipes for raffle) and no humilating games and/or games where you have to eat anything.  She had a friend help her with the invites and the friend included the good ol' book instead of card line.  It was the first draft, complete with misspelling of both mine and my sisters names, so I had no problem asking if the minded cutting that.  I just said it was becoming so common that if someone likes the idea of bringing a book instead of a card I am sure they will do it on their own.

Just make sure you speak with her before things are put into action.  If she has already included something on the invite and gotten them printed, just go with it.

image BFP #3 02/14/2012 - EDD 10/20/2012 Started prometrium right away, hoping this one sticks Beta #1 (02/15) 37. Torrey born 10/21/2012 w 6lb 14oz, 19.5" long Beta #2 (02/17) 87 Doubling time 38.91 Beta #3 (02/22) 495 Doubling time 47.84 Beta #4 (02/28) 8108 Doubling time 35.70 ~grow baby grow~ Updated EDD 10/26 BFP #2 01/10/2012 - EDD 09/18/2012, Chemical Pregnancy ended 01/13/2012 BFP #1 12/03/2011 - EDD 08/06/2012, Natural M/C 12/13/2011
  • Options
    Another vote for let it be.
    BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Options
    BLuvsEBLuvsE member

Okay...I'm going to leave it alone unless she specifically asks if I think it's a good idea.

Thanks ladies!!!

11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • Options
    I would just tell her the truth about how you feel. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom is planning my shower along with a few of my friends and she was really excited to tell me about this idea where guests will bring a book instead of a card (as if I have never heard of it before). I immediately told her I don't want that done at my shower and she said okay, but sounded super disappointed. I felt bad, but I think it's tacky and would be really embarrassed by it. I would be honest with your hostess.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"