Working Moms
Options

Maternity leave question

I'm planning on working up until I give birth. I've spoken to my boss about maternity leave several times, but she can be a little flighty, so she hasn't been very clear.

What exactly is the proper protocol or etiquette for informing your boss the baby was both and it's time for maternity leave to start? Do you just call and say "The baby was born!" or is their some weird bureaucratic thing?

Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

Re: Maternity leave question

• Options
    Your boss and HR will know the estimated due date, I just emailed my boss when I went into labor and kept her posted. With my 2nd baby I was induced so that was much easier to plan
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kie310Kie310 member
    I was on bed rest for 3 weeks before I was induced. So, while everyone knew my EDD no one knew when I was really going to give birth. I ended up with a c/s on a Saturday. Monday morning I emailed my boss & the person who handles the STD paperwork & she over nighted it to me so that I could take it to my doctor and get it send to the STD company ASAP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a teacher, and went into labor on a Sunday over a holiday weekend.  I just emailed my principal and cc'd HR.  Both knew my estimated due date, so it was not a big deal.  Then, I called my substitute to let her know to go to work.  That's it!
  • Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    My employer knew of my EDD and when the baby was born, yes, I called and said I'm in labor. My dr had the FMLA & STD forms on hand (b/c I gave them prior) and they completed their portion and submitted the paperwork after I gave birth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, you could be like me and have your water break at work! lol  I would talk to HR and check what the protocol is. At my job, I told them what my EDD was and how long I planned on being out. I gave them a doctor's note and filled out a leave slip. After I did all that, everything was set up to where I just needed to notify my boss when I was going to the hospital.

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Do you have HR?  I had to inform HR when the baby was born so they could process the maternity leave paperwork.
  • Options
    I planned on doing that, too, but they went past my due date.  A mom in the office w/3 kids called me on my due date yelling at me saying I was risking mine and the baby's health and to go home - she meant it in the nicest way.  I also had an hour commute, was exhausted and couldnt' remember what someone told me 2 hrs prior - its like my brain shut off the last few wks.  I eneded up telling my boss that day that I would work the next 2 days from home and that woud be it - i had a sceduled induction for 9 days afer my due date if nothing happened naturally,which it didn't.  It's tough...all i had in my head was I needed to work until the moment I went into labor so I'd have more time with the baby.  I woud say I will try to work until my due date...here is my plan for tansitioning my workload if someone else will be covering it.  Ideally, that transition needs to happen before your due date so if you go early....your boss has to be flexible about your departure date....you can't really control that.
  • Options
    CWSKHCCWSKHC member
    My husband called to tell my boss that I went into labor and wouldn't be back for awhile, then he called the HR department to alert them as well. Of course they had an estimated due date so they knew it was bound to happen anytime so they were prepared.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I just texted my boss after I gave birth. No, there's no "official" way to do it. You just have to notify them of the day of birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DH texted my boss and backup when we started the delivery process (since I was a month early) and sent a follow up text the next morning with the basic information. If not for the emergency early delivery it would have been a phone call.
  • Options
    Because of my history, we knew that I could theoretically go out any time.  We were thrilled to make it to cerclage removal.  Since I knew I wasn't going to be allowed to go past 40 weeks, I told everyone it could be anytime between cerclage removal and May 7.  In the end, due to b/p issues, I was in and out of the doctor's office a lot those last three weeks.  I kept my boss informed via phone/text/email.  After a hospitalization at 38w5d on a Friday, I was told bedrest until they decide to induce (which was 39 weeks even), so I called my boss the following Monday - 39 weeks - and said I'm being induced this week no matter what, probably today and I'm on bedrest officially.  She updated HR on my status and I was officially put on leave.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"