Two Under 2
Options

breastfeeding moms who are pregant

Hi guys.  I have an 8 month old that I am still nursing and planned to until at least age 1.  Have any of you noticed a drop in supply or has your baby self-weaned?  So far, I'm still producing but I'm only 4 weeks pregnant currently.  Just curious of other's experiences and if there is anything you can do to try to continue to keep a good milk supply.  TIA. 

Re: breastfeeding moms who are pregant

• Options
    I nursed until my son was nearly 13 months old so for the 1st trimester of my pregnancy.  I found it tough, simply because of the amount of calories I had to eat just to maintain weight & any kind of supply, if I did not eat enough I would heave whilst nursing!  DS#1 loves food anyway so we had started the weaning process.  I would advise upping your fluids & calories, eating oatmeal & if you're worried about your supply look into motherlove more milk plus & see if it can be taken whilst pregnant.  Good luck & congratulations!
  • Options
    I just weaned DD 2 weeks ago at 14mo/23w because I've decided I don't want to tandem nurse. I got PG when she was 9 mo. I didn't notice any drop in my supply but I did slowly start cutting down our nursing sessions (and supplementing with 1 bottle of formula until 1 yr) just before I reached 2nd tri because it was taking a lot out of me, energy-wise. She never showed interest in weaning but also had no issues as I cut each feed out over the course of a couple months. The best advice I got came from our pediatrician when I took DD in to make sure she was still gaining weight and getting enough from me. The pedi said to make sure I was drinking loads of extra water, to eat whenever I felt hungry, and to just relax and enjoy BFing as much as possible w/o putting a bunch of stress on myself. I have heard that Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a great resource for BFing while PG as well as if you decide you want to continue BFing your 8mo once the new baby arrives, though I never got around to reading it myself. GL, you can do it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice, encouragement and tips.  I have oatmeal packed for breakfast at work tomorrow!  I'll keep an eye on how much I"m able to pump at work.  I can typically pump enough (plus an ounce or two) to make up for what Owen takes each day.  I have nutritional yeast that I've used at various times to increase supply, like right when periods are about to start and dip my supply a little bit, but I"m not sure if that's safe to eat while pregnant.  I would think so, but I guess I'll ask. 
  • Options
    I got pregnant when my ds was just 8 months old, as well.  I was able to successfully breastfeed until one week past my son's first birthday, when it became too painful to nurse any longer.  I'm happy he was able to get the nutrition he needed from the breastmilk for a full year.
    Natalie 7.27.07/Lukas 5.29.09/Noah 3.4.11/Brooke 7.31.12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Lurker here...

I'm still nursing my 21mos old at 29.5wks pregnant.  DD was 15mos when I found out I was PG.  I noticed an initial supply drop but DD picked up her frequency and my supply rebounded within a few days.  I also bought some Mother Love Mother's Milk Two and took that.  Then somewhere around the middle of my pregnancy I realized I wasn't really producing anything.  At least, I couldn't squeeze anything out.  Now I'm making colostrum.

DD was still nursing every 3hrs when I got pregnant.  We're now down to twice a day (before nap and at bedtime).  I'm not sure if the cut down was due to her just getting older and less interested, my pregnancy, or my lack of production.  I don't think there is any way to know for sure.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options
    I got pregnant when DS1 was around 9-months-old.  He went on a nursing strike when I was about 5-6 weeks pregnant.  The taste of your milk can change when you get pregnant.  He refused for almost a week.  I kept offering and pumped to try to keep my supply.  He continued to BF until around 11 and a half months.  It was very draining.  Luckily, he was down to only 3 times a day and didn't actually care about BFing.  My supply was ok.  We had to stop due to my m/s but I think he was really close to done anyways.  BFing would make me want to throw up and it would take all of me to let him finish before I ran to the bathroom.   

Make sure that you drink lots of water and are getting enough calories.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

lurker here.

I am still nursing my almost 16 month old. I found that my supply dropped twice so far - once at around 5 weeks, and once maybe a few weeks -a  month or so ago.  Luckily, he was over 1 when I got pregnant so it was less imperative (he has been getting WCM since he turned 1). Both times my supply dropped we had some issues - he would try to nurse a TON to try to get more from me, get frustrated at the breast, up ALL NIGHT LONG. We made adjustments (getting more other food in him). I also really upped my oatmeal to try to offset it a little.

I know I am still producing some but not much at all. My son still enjoys nursing, so we will continue till he is done. Im open to tandem if that is what happens. 

Some women wont experience much/any supply drop at all so you can wait and see what happens. At his age I would really try to get enough calories and a TON of water. And oatmeal too! 

In general though, if it is working for boht of you there isnt any reason why you would have to stop, assuming you dont have issues wtih pre-term labor. GL!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    Where can I find this mothers love mothers milk stuff? Is t something that is carried in stores or just order online? Thanks again for all of your tips ladies!
  • Options
     I just looked it up and it says "not for use during pregnancy." Any idea why? Did anyone's doctor or LC recommend this? 
  • Options
    When I was BF DS when I got pregnant with DD.  My supply was just barely making it before I got pregnant.  When I got pregnant it dipped majorly, and I ended up supplementing DS with donor milk and then he slowly moved to mostly donor milk and nursing for comfort from me.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've always had a good supply of milk, I did notice a change but it was more like my milk finally regulated itself .
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"