Preemies
Options

Overprotective?

So DH and I had talked about going out today with friends on their boat with DS.  In my mind, boating with an infant means having a base camp set up on shore with shade and a space for DS to play.  Come to find out, there was not going to be any shore set up, instead we'd be out cruising around while people wakebaord.  Long story short, I decided I didn't want DS sitting on a boat all day bouncing around n the sun and decided to stay home.  DH got really upset, saying that I was keeping our DS in a bubble and thats not how he wants to raise our child.  Yes, I am still big on hand hygeine, I ask people to take off their shoesin our house and don't want to hang around our friends when they or one of their kids is sick. Maybe I feel the need to protect DS a little more since I still struggle with feeling like I failed him somehow.  But, I don't feel as if I'm over the top either.  My question is: do you find yourself being more protective than you thought you would be had you had a full term baby, and, is that necessarily bad?
image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Overprotective?

• Options
    I feel I am as protective with Max as I would be with any baby; fully term, preemie, even with kids that aren't mine. The only way I'm more protective of Max, is when there are any kinds of tummy issues. I get really nervous with anything is wrong with him tummy.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses, I feel better about my decision now! Hopefully some day I can be the laid back mom that I envisioned but I'm thinking it may take some time and for some of the NICU memories/feelings to fade. TIme to have a talk with DH, but not sure where to start and if he can really understand what goes on in my mommy headspace. 
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would speak with him from a practical stand point.  It is not practical to have ANY baby on a boat all day, unless it's a yacht and has a downstairs to get the baby out of the heat.  How are they going to nap??  I don't think that's being too overprotective, I think that's called being a resposible parent.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Preemie or FT.  Sitting on a boat all day taking care of a baby while everyone else wake boards sounds miserable to me....
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I am pretty overprotective of DD, but I assume I would be just as overprotective of a full term baby.  DH and I have a boat and would spend every weekend and holiday out on the lake all day.  We have yet to take DD since her life jacket doesn't quite fit, but I would not want her in the sun riding around on the boat all day.  The life jacket would be hot, especially without getting in the water all say.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageadacopeach:
    I would speak with him from a practical stand point.  It is not practical to have ANY baby on a boat all day, unless it's a yacht and has a downstairs to get the baby out of the heat.  How are they going to nap??  I don't think that's being too overprotective, I think that's called being a resposible parent.
    THIS!
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"