Babies: 9 - 12 Months

table food?

My son is 10 months old and every time we give him even the littlest piece of table for (ex banana, peaches) he gags and throws up! His dr. said at his 9th appt not to worry he would get the hang out it. I don't have any other children but i have two nephews that never had this problem. Has anyone experienced this and any advice? Thanks!

Re: table food?

• My son did this, I would say it's normal, it's how they learn to swallow and he will get the hang of it soon! 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How long have you been feeding him table food?  Gagging is a natural part of learning to eat.  Their gag reflex is up at the front of their mouth, so it doesn't take much to trigger it, and it's a safety precaution.  Gagging forces the food up and out, away from their airway so they don't choke.

We started tablefoods at 6 months.  It took about 2 weeks till his gagging became fairly infrequent.  If you're just now introducing table foods, I would imagine it might take longer since you've bypassed his gag reflex for months with the spoon. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"