Natural Birth
Options

Wanting a NB but now second guessing ability...

I have done so much research, read so many NB stories, watched TBOBB and other NB videos and I felt SO confident in my ability to have a NB.

This week has put me through the ringer and now I'm second guessing my ability. Perhaps some of you have had similar experiences and can give me the pep talkI need so desperately. 

I have been diagnosed with moderate-severe renal colic/hydronephrosis (I also passed a kidney stone on Monday) and the pain had been so immense that I've been hosptialized twice and am taking pain meds to get through the days/nights. The pain has been so bad that I've actually started having contractions. The contractions hurt but the back pain is AWFUL! I'm only 32 weeks and my MW said that this condition most likely will not go away until after the baby has been delivered.

Anyone have any suggestions for gaining my confidence back?! TIA ladies. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wanting a NB but now second guessing ability...

• Options
    if it makes you feel better, i've had a friend who also had kidney stones and had a kid. she said she'd rather give birth 100 times before passing another kidney stone! so, if you can pass a stone, you can handle having a baby :) just thought a little humor and real life experience would make you feel better :) i know you can do it! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I had renal colic/a large kidney stone diagnosed @ 10 weeks. It was far worse than childbirth for me. I don't remember passing it, but it was gone at my first urology appointment after DDs birth. Don't let it get you down;they're very different feelings.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I rushed my husband to the emergency room for kidney stones (we thought it was appendicitis) the nurse told us that a lot of woman compared the pain of passing a kidney stone to being worse than child birth. You already sound pretty tough and amazing to me! If you can do that, I am sure you can make it through a natural birth. :)
  • Options
    One thing I keep reminding myself is that, when I'm in labor, that's my job.  That's all I have to worry about, and the pain is part of it, but it has a goal.  I say this because when I get a migraine I'm the biggest baby and go right to bed with medicine :) but getting a migraine is an interruption in my life.  Being in labor is going to be my focus at that point--I won't be trying to manage it to move on to something else (as I imagine your days and nights dealing with this probably feels like :( ).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

great input ladies. it's certainly inspiring :) I keep telling myself that labor pain is for a purpose and it does come with some breaks. My MW kept telling me that I was going to do great when it came to my NB after making it through this.

Thanks again girls! You're the best!!

• Options

I agree with pps! And think of it this way: pregnancy and labor are natural, healthy states that are consistent with how your body is designed to work. :) Passing a kidney stone hurts because that is not what those organs/passageways are really meant for... kidney stone = being sick, labor = doing a great, healthy, wonderful thing! :)

I hear you on being afraid of the pain... I've had some real back and muscle issues that have made me question. But l&d really is a different event than our ailments!

• Options
    You know birth will happen, you are preparing yourself for it and once it is over, it is over. I think when you have time to prepare your mind for it, it's half the battle done

babies

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"