VBAC

VBAC or Elective cesarean

I am 37 weeks tomorrow and since the beginning of my pregnancy did not want to have another c-section. My doctor supports a VBAC, my first child was breech and that was the reason for the c-section, we didnt find out she was breech until about 2 days into labor with no progress. I'm nearing the end of the pregnancy, very uncomfortable and now I am considering scheduling an elective c-section for the ease of scheduling but also because I fear the risk of uterine rupture. My sister experienced uterine rupture with her 3rd child, she had a VBAC with her second and c-section with her first. Thankfully she and baby survived but it was a very scary. I don't want that to happen. I know there are risks for both VBAC and c-section, I'm just having a difficult time deciding what to do maybe its just the jitters of being so close I just don't want to labor and then be told I need a c-section. Any advice would be helpful

Re: VBAC or Elective cesarean

• nealblnealbl member
    I don't think I can be of much help, helping you decide. It is such a personal decision to make but I just want to say whatever you decide is what you think is best for you and baby and please do not feel guilty with either decision you make. It does not make you less of a mother or woman to do a RCS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RCS does have higher risk for mom than a VBAC does.  But a failed VBAC is riskier than a planned RCS.  The risk of uterine rupture, while higher for VBAC than regular vaginal birth, is still very low.  The risk of poor outcome due to rupture is even lower--meaning that even when rupture happens usually mom and baby are still ok.

However, it's a really personal decision and no one can or should tell you what you should do.  For me, I knew I had to at least try VBAC because I would always wonder what if.  I have so many what ifs from my first birth and I don't want to feel that way again.  I feel like I'm fully prepared and ready for either outcome.

I would suggest talking to your provider about it, doing a lot of research on pros/cons of both options and attending an ICAN meeting if possible.  

• Loading the player...
  • As pp said, we can't make the call for you!

I can tell you that I personally chose a VBAC because it is overall the safer option. I can see that since you know a person personally who had a rupture, it might be scarier for you. But her rupture does not increase YOUR chances of that happening. The risk is still very small. And as pp said, a negative outcome with a rupture is even smaller.

For me, the much quicker recovery and the ease of picking up/taking care of my first child after the VBAC were also big factors.

To be sure, I was nervous leading up to my VBAC but as it was going on, all of the statistics and fear went out the window and I was definitely just in the moment:-) 

And of course no one would say you are less of a mother for a RCS, not sure what pp meant by that!  It doesn't sound like that is an issue for you.  You have a good head on your shoulders and can make a competent call for yourself with the help of your doctor.  Do what is best for you in the long run.  Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and enjoy whatever delivery you choose!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • nealblnealbl member
    imageMAprincess:

As pp said, we can't make the call for you!

I can tell you that I personally chose a VBAC because it is overall the safer option. I can see that since you know a person personally who had a rupture, it might be scarier for you. But her rupture does not increase YOUR chances of that happening. The risk is still very small. And as pp said, a negative outcome with a rupture is even smaller.

For me, the much quicker recovery and the ease of picking up/taking care of my first child after the VBAC were also big factors.

To be sure, I was nervous leading up to my VBAC but as it was going on, all of the statistics and fear went out the window and I was definitely just in the moment:-) 

And of course no one would say you are less of a mother for a RCS, not sure what pp meant by that!  It doesn't sound like that is an issue for you.  You have a good head on your shoulders and can make a competent call for yourself with the help of your doctor.  Do what is best for you in the long run.  Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and enjoy whatever delivery you choose!

I see on the Csection board a lot that women are made to feel guilty if they do not try for a VBAC, or do nto want to try for a VBAC. I did not mean anyone on here did that I just know a lot of women who have dealt with negative comments from other women b/c they chose RCS over VBAC.

• I think isn't something someone can tell you to do. It's something you have to decide for your self.

I had a CS with my first do to an infection. My OB discussed the pro's and cons's of a VB and RCS when I had baby #2. I was so scared of the cons I chose a RCS..for me at the time I thought it was the best decision. Now here I am TTC #3 and wondering if I should talk to my OB about a VB... But I've heard I don't get that choice now...But on the other hand we live further from our hospital so maybe a RCS is what we'll choose.

I wish you luck in any choice you make.. just think of what is best for you and your family.

• imagenealbl:
    imageMAprincess:

I see on the Csection board a lot that women are made to feel guilty if they do not try for a VBAC, or do nto want to try for a VBAC. I did not mean anyone on here did that I just know a lot of women who have dealt with negative comments from other women b/c they chose RCS over VBAC.

Got it.  I hang on that board too (because I have had a c/s:-) and I haven't noticed any guilt on the board, which is why I was confused.  I always thought it was pretty supportive of RCS.  If people ask which way to go, I will give my VBAC experience, but I never saw anyone state that one was right and one was wrong. There must have been some threads I missed where people were a little harsh.  I admittedly am not over there that often.

IRL, people are going to give you grief for either.  People tried to make me feel terrible and selfish for having a VBAC- all people who probably didn't read one scientific study.  I think the right statement might be, "You are a good mother regardless of which path you choose".  I think maybe because you chose RCS, you might feel people are judging you for that.  But I assure you, the judgement will come with either decision.  Which is why you have to make the one that is right for you and just ignore people who disagree with you.  They aren't the ones having your baby:-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:

All this.  I went into my pregnancy knowing I wanted a VBAC, because I hated my c/s.  My recovery took over a year and I didn't want to do that again.  But, I can see how someone with an easy c/s experience might favor an RCS.   And if you've heard a bad VBAC story, then that complicates your emotions.  But the facts are still the same, both are reasonable alternatives.

Good luck with your decision!

• imageprincesst92703:

I think isn't something someone can tell you to do. It's something you have to decide for your self.

I had a CS with my first do to an infection. My OB discussed the pro's and cons's of a VB and RCS when I had baby #2. I was so scared of the cons I chose a RCS..for me at the time I thought it was the best decision. Now here I am TTC #3 and wondering if I should talk to my OB about a VB... But I've heard I don't get that choice now...But on the other hand we live further from our hospital so maybe a RCS is what we'll choose.

I wish you luck in any choice you make.. just think of what is best for you and your family.

I'm sorry, this just struck me as odd. Why do you not get a chance now to do a VBAC? Is it your area or your Dr who doesn't do them? Just curious because where I am, the MWs will take patients with up to two c/s'. I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just honestly curious.

BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"