Attachment Parenting

How do I get rid of the bottles?!

DS still has a bottle, probably 30oz a day of formula. I'm more concerned about dropping the bottle then switching to milk. Every time he drinks out of anything besides a bottle, he spits it back out onto himself. It's really frustrating, cause he started drinking from a straw cup at 7 months and probably around 10 months he started spitting it back out. Right around the time I stopped nursing actually. I've tried numerous different cups, and I'm just not sure what to do.

He doesn't take a pacifier, or suck any fingers, so I know that the bottle is a HUGE source of comfort for him, so I'm struggling with just taking it away cold turkey. I don't want some huge mess of a child on my hands, but of course I'm worried about letting him have the bottle for too long. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Re: How do I get rid of the bottles?!

• If it helps any... Alexa still drinks from a bottle when it comes to whole milk. :X She won't really drink it any other way.

She gets 7 oz in the morning when she wakes and 7 oz at night when she goes to sleep.

She drinks water and diluted juices perfectly fine out of sippy cups, straw cups, even normal cups. But put milk in them and she'll only drink a tiny bit.

I think it's still a little early to take the bottle away... but obviously, I'm way behind on taking it away as well. Lol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I found that practice with sippies and time helped them make the transition. Neither one of my kids wanted to be done with bottles at 12 months--it was closer to 18 months before they dropped them and I followed their lead. Have you tried offering enticing flavors in the sippy? Adding a little strawberry or chocolate flavoring (ovaltime is a good choice since there's less sugar) may help, or a splash of apple juice in some water may be motivating. Once LO gets the hang of using a cup, slowly switch cups of liquid to bottles one at a time and you'll be done with them.

I would be more concerned with the amount of formula, honestly. That is too much for over 1. Vitamins are a great thing, but too much is not good. I would reduce an ounce or so from every bottle slowly so LO moves more onto food.

Offer enticing liquids

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"