I'm a FTM trying to decide which carrier to purchase, and I think I have it narrowed down. What are your thoughts on the Beco Butterfly/Gemini? I also have a K'Tan and a PPB sling, but I want something DH can use as well. TIA!
I went round and round on this...I liked that the Gemini had the forward-facing front carry (but really, I can only use that up to a certain size before it starts hurting my back)...and the Butterfly let's you put them on your back easily without extra hands (something I got to test in the airport with my toddler). I went with the butterfly in hopes of back-carrying longer with a larger infant while I chase the toddler around.
That said...I'm currently only using the Ergo with insert...since the Butterfly felt to unsupported for a newborn :P
I got the Butterfly. I know I'll be doing back carries a lot longer than front ones, so I really liked that I'd be able to do it by myself. I was not concerned about the lack of forward-facing ability, since it's not really recommended, I hadn't planned on FF her anyway. An added bonus was that I got it on one of those daily deal sites for only $60.
I love my Butterfly. I used it today to enable me to vacuum my house.
I used a Butterfly w both my kids and live it. Does the Gemini do back carries? I have worn them on my back longer than on my front.
DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)
I was facing the same decision a few weeks ago. I went with the Butterfly. I tried both of them on in the store, and liked the Butterfly more for a few reasons.
1) I didnt think Id really be using the front facing out carry too often, or the hip carry
2) I liked the idea that I could pass DD to DH without taking her out. We actually did this while we were out this aft.
3) seems easier for back carries
4) I liked that the butterfly wasnt padded, while the gemini was. I dont really see why this is necessary, and would just make DD hotter.
5) It just felt good for us both, and DH likes to use it too.
6) I liked the idea that it had a higher weight limit, and came ready to use for a new born as well.
I have a k-tan as well, but prefer the Butterfly. HTH!