Pre-School and Daycare
Options

DS only wants to wear 3 shirts....

As much as I don't really care for character clothing, ds has fallen in love with 3 shirts from Old Navy (Superman, Batman and Mickey Mouse) and will only wear these 3 shirts.  I am constantly washing them.

Thanks, dh, for buying the first shirt and getting the boy addicted..lol.  I miss dressing him and buying other shirts for him!

Re: DS only wants to wear 3 shirts....

• Options

imagefredalina:
    Hey, my daughter (yes, DAUGHTER!) wears almost entirely shirts with skulls. She does wear a couple of others but her favorites all have skulls. Can you buy some duplicates? DD is straddling three shirt sizes (3T is a little short in the tummy but 4T is too big on her thin frame and 4/XS is too long but the girl shirts are actually fitted more, as if 4 year olds have hips so they fit well just long).  One shirt she has in all 3 sizes and a couple in 2.

I'm sort of hoping to buy duplicates and save some money...lol.  I keep offering him other "cool" shirts in his closet, but he cries and asks for his "favorite" shirts.  I'm imagining I will have to layer long tee shirts underneath these when the weather gets cold..lol.

Re: your daughter and her shirts, I once had a lady tell me to dress my little dd in as many cute and sweet things I can when she's a baby because soon comes the day when she has an opinion about her clothing.  I will be a little sad..lol.

• Options
    DS wears 2 Toy Story shirts that I got him for his bday party (Toy Story themed). Over the winter he would wear his Chicago BlackHawks hockey shirts. He goes to DC 3 days a were and would wear them 2 out of the 3 days. His first day of the week at DC is Wednesdays so one Wednesday we go in and I notice it must be sports day since all the kids have sports shirts on. His teachers ask him as I am taking off his coat if he had his hockey shirt on (since it's sports day and he wears them all the time). Of course that was the day I convinced him to wear another shirt since I didnt know it was sports day. It was too funny.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ha!  DS has been choosing his clothing for a year now.  He wears only pajamas.  A mix-match of shirts and the cloth pants.  They never match as a set, usually a random pairing. 

There is a consigment sale I go to twice a year and get cute organic/trendy clothes and DS won't wear them.  I joke that I am taking total advantage of being able to dress the baby how I want for as long as I can!!

I will say I am glad we allow DS to pick out his own clothes.  It is an area that I don't think is worth a battle and although he probably looks hilarious, I think his "style" is adorable and all his own. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think Owen wore a Handy Manny shirt to preschool (2x a week) all but the 2 days they had performances.  UGH.  I mean, I bought them, and I don't totally hate them, but enough!  I hear ya!
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options
    Last year my DS went through a stage where he would ilonly wear solid color shirts "like Daddy" and I went to Walmart to buy a few black, grey and white shirts to replace the huge Gap wardrobe I had for him and actually spent more on the crappy Walmart shirts since the agap ones were on clearance from the year before. 
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

I don't wash the favorites with any more frequency than his other shirts.  It is a tough fight in the beginning, but ultimately worked out well.  If the favorites are dirty, oh well, he has a drawer full of other shirts.

As far as dressing himself goes, he has had opinions since 18 months.  That's when I just started letting him dress himself.  I offer suggestions as far as matching goes, but otherwise I let him do what he wants.

• Options
    DS will only wear his "cool" superhero shirts. It started a while ago when his older cousin gave him 2 of his old, faded, ugly incredible hulk shirts. He would wear these shirts everyday if we let him. I gave up on trying to buy his shirts myself. I take him clothes shopping with me and he picks out anything with a superhero on it. When his favorites get old I tell him that he can use them as pajamas. He's happy enough with that.
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    imageEchowysp:

Re: your daughter and her shirts, I once had a lady tell me to dress my little dd in as many cute and sweet things I can when she's a baby because soon comes the day when she has an opinion about her clothing.  I will be a little sad..lol.

This is so true!  My DDs have been picking out their own clothes since probably they turned two and they each have very definite opinions!  I'm doing a little better buying them clothes because I have a hunch what they will and won't wear, but it's doesn't always work.  And their concept of "matching" is a little different than mine.  (Any pink goes with any other pink, polka dots match polka dots, etc).

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    rsd12rsd12 member
    My son (almost 3) only has two fav shirts... it is all about the character lightening mcqueen ; ) he will go through the dirty hamper to find one. But I do laundry so often anyway, so one of the shirts are usually available. But, I have told him to pick anothher... and will go for his snoopy or angry birds shirt. But has gone through a phase that he would not take the shirt off even for bed. I know for him it is a phase, and he will eventually outgrow this. He gets awa with more than his older bros too!
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

imageCourt0026:
    I think Owen wore a Handy Manny shirt to preschool (2x a week) all but the 2 days they had performances.  UGH.  I mean, I bought them, and I don't totally hate them, but enough!  I hear ya!

The preschool teachers have to be used to it, right?  I feel like I tell them "Oh, and yes, Adam's wearing the same shirt again" every other time...lol.

• Options
    imageMeg&Jesse:

Ha!  DS has been choosing his clothing for a year now.  He wears only pajamas.  A mix-match of shirts and the cloth pants.  They never match as a set, usually a random pairing. 

There is a consigment sale I go to twice a year and get cute organic/trendy clothes and DS won't wear them.  I joke that I am taking total advantage of being able to dress the baby how I want for as long as I can!!

I will say I am glad we allow DS to pick out his own clothes.  It is an area that I don't think is worth a battle and although he probably looks hilarious, I think his "style" is adorable and all his own. 

Yeah, I am very glad ds can pick out his clothes and put them on himself lately.  It makes for much easier mornings!

• Options
    image-auntie-:
    imageAgrippaRidesAgain:

I don't wash the favorites with any more frequency than his other shirts.  It is a tough fight in the beginning, but ultimately worked out well.  If the favorites are dirty, oh well, he has a drawer full of other shirts.

As far as dressing himself goes, he has had opinions since 18 months.  That's when I just started letting him dress himself.  I offer suggestions as far as matching goes, but otherwise I let him do what he wants.

This.

For most kids this sort of indulgence- washing so the shirts are always available- is OK if not ideal. He'll eventually outgrow it.

But my kid has Aspergers and is compelled to have things "the same". For him, always having his super hero shirts at the ready would increase his inflexible nature and the anxiety that drives it. Treatment is deliberate sabotage- purposely letting the shirts stay dirty until he's gotten Ok with wearing something else. It can be ugly at first, but real growth came from the process.

Do you know why he likes them? DS always put comfort over character- LOL, he didn't understand why I didn't do all my shopping at Hanna Andersson.

I think he likes them because his dad got him the first one , Superman, and he likes the idea of superheros taking down bad guys.  His favorite friend in preschool also wears the Old Navy shirts, so there's that influence.  

• Options
    Totally normal, and I wouldn't force him to wear something you want him to. he is asserting his independence! My daughter has a whole closet full of Gap Toddler clothes and she wears approximately one dress almost every day - her Easter dress! Oh, well. I choose not to fight this battle. Good things I can still dress the baby how I want, ha ha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"