Does this sound right? SA related — The Bump
TTC after 35

Does this sound right? SA related

Hi ladies,

My husband just had a SA done, but the sample wasn't enough to test.  (Apparently my husband has a few ideas on how to improve the sample cup he was provided!).   When we asked for another lab request from the doctor, (urologist @ Kaiser), he said he needed to wait 56 days to provide another sample.  Per his words, for the body to make more sperm....??  Has anyone had this happen to them?  

His numbers are holding us up moving forward with anymore testing with me, and it already took 2 months to get this appointment!  

Re: Does this sound right? SA related

  • yeesh!!! were there instructions to not ejaculate for a few months before the test? 

    My Dr wants my husband to get an SA, and we keep meaning to schedule it but we haven't yet. I haven't had any tests at all yet until his come back. Any information on what to expect would be great.  

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Dr. Said it was fine to "carry on" until then....  I just don't under stand the logic or reasoning.  I think sperm are in continuous creation, so no matter when a sample is given, new and old ones will be involved.

    Ultimately, I hope we won't need another test in 2 months!! 

    This is secondary infertility for us, been trying for awhile now.  I've only had bloodwork done, and all was normal.  Based on my cycle lengths, I've been taking  progesterin for the last week of my cycle.  That's it so far......  I can schedule a HSG as soon as we see my husbands numbers.  We are under different insurance plans, so that delays everything twice as long it seems.

  • Loading the player...
  • It's my understanding that the 56 days is the shortest amount of time to see and improvement. Meaning that if you have a bad SA, there's no point in trying again before then.

    Did they give you no information back? There could have been a miscommunication and the doctor thought you were asking for a retest after a bad result instead of a request after a mistest. Or, there could have been no sperm to test, which is of course extremely unlikely if you have a child!

    Oh, and I have Kaiser and we didn't need a urologist to order the SA. The RE did, but I'm guessing my OB/Gyn could have done it as well. 

    I hope you get this straightened out. 

  • If there wasn't enough because the entirety of the specimen didn't make it into the cup, then it's not about "improving" the sperm count. It's about getting enough into the cup in the first place-- which can be done in 3 days (no fewer than 2, no more than 8 days from the last ejaculation).

    I would get clarification.


    "You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

                               Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

    <a href="" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>
  • Thank you!!  I thought it was due to the volume he provided, but now I need the dr to clarify.  I'm looking at the email now, and it says "the amount they got was too small for an evaluation".

    My husband is the one with Kaiser, when he initially asked for the test from his GP, without seeing him, he just referred him to the urologist saying they handle these tests.  The good part is they found a few items of concern to look further into, all having nothing to do with holding us back from TTC thankfully.
  • Hi - we have severe MFI and were at Kaiser too - MH had to do several SA's don't remember him waiting 56 days and my OBGYN scheduled his test not a urologist we consulted a uro when we had our results.  Good Luck!!

    Me 38 MH 41 - TTC since June 2010 - dx with Severe MFI. Straight to IVF with ICSI. IVF #1 - ER 06/13/12 - 9 Eggs Retrieved - 4 ICSI'd - only 2 fert. 06/15/12 - 2DT - 3 cell & 6 cell with fragmentation. Beta 06/29/12 - IVF #1 = BFN. 07/20/12 - WTF Appt -Told by our RE to quit IVF. Second Opinion from RE is good. IVF#2 - November 2012. Estradiol Pills Started 11/6. Stims start 11/16. ER 11/26 - 7 eggs retrieved - all mature. 4 fertilized with ICSI. ET 11/29 Transferred 3 embryos. Beta is 12/10. 1st Beta 81 2nd Beta 160 and 3rd beta 360!!! First U/S 12/21/12 - We saw one beautiful gest. sac. 2nd U/S is 01/04/2013 - H/B 183 02/05/13 - NT Scan - everything looks good and IT'S A BOY!  Aiden was born 08/20/2013.

    IVF #2 is in progress.  ER was 05/12/14 - 11 eggs retrieved, 8 fertilized with ICSI.  ET was 05/15/14 - we transferred 3 embryos as we did on the cycle my son was conceived.  We were able to freeze 3 embryos. Beta is scheduled for 05/26/14.  1st beta - 111.  2nd beta - 159 didn't double :( 3rd beta Friday 5/30) - not a lot of hope left. Beta # 3 is 247 - probably ectopic.  Beta # 4 is 813 - possibly vanishing multiple sydrome?  06/05/14 - 5w4days - first U/S - we see a gestational sac and yolk - still have hope!  06/17/14 - 7w1day - U/S and saw and heard the heartbeat - Finally!  06/27/14 - 8w4days - Baby and heartbeat look and sound great :)  EDD 02/01/14 and It's a boy!

     "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."


    BabyFruit Ticker

      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  • I would imagine that it is an insurance thing -- since it takes that long to show improvement, insurance probably won't approve another before that, even though the problem is that your husband missed the cup.  Just like if you lose a prescription medication, insurance won't usually cover a replacement before the original was scheduled to run out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards