Natural Birth

How to prevent having a big baby

Hi all,

I am only 9 weeks pregnant but I started showing even at 7 weeks. This is freaking me out that I may end up having a huge baby because I am showing when all I have been doing is eating and throwing up and yet the bump is really growing.

I know I should be happy and I am but at the back of my mind I am wondering if I am going to end up with a 8-10 pound baby.

I am only 5 feet 1 inches tall but hubby is 6 feet 1 inches tall. Not sure if this actually affects the size of the baby but I am slightly worried as I have another friend who is 16 weeks and my bump being 9 weeks is the same size as hers!

Re: How to prevent having a big baby

• Unless this isn't your first baby, your bump is probably all bloating. Your uterus isn't even big enough to be outside your pelvis yet. You really can't control the size your baby is supposed to be, but you can eat healthfully and stay active to avoid GD and a super-sized kiddo.
    January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• Ahhhh bloating? How do I prevent bloating? Is that bad for the baby if I am bloated?
  • Loading the player...
  • I started showing early as well, though I am 5'7. DH is 6'3. I had a girlfriend who was 14 weeks ahead of me, and my bump rivaled hers. I was worried too, but then I have to remember that an 8 pound baby is pretty average.

Now, at nearly 40 weeks, I am ALL belly/baby. I am measuring right on schedule, and my OB has never been worried about having a larger than average baby. I just think that the baby had no where to go but "out". I wouldn't worry! But be prepared for the comments about how you must be having twins, being alarmed that your due date is so far away, etc. I've put up with those since about 12 weeks! :)

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks for sharing BransonsBecca! Wow, you are due anytime now! All the best and let me know how your delivery goes and how big baby is.

Btw, did you experience any nausea even though your baby is all bump?  

• imageLaHibiscus:

Thanks for sharing BransonsBecca! Wow, you are due anytime now! All the best and let me know how your delivery goes and how big baby is.

Btw, did you experience any nausea even though your baby is all bump?  

I'm not sure if there is any correlation between morning sickness and how you "wear" your bump but I did not have any morning sickness. My pregnancy has been, thankfully, quite enjoyable! Hopefully, labor will be just as pleasant!

imageimage

• Yep, as PPs mentioned, at this point you're very likely bloated. And no, that can't hurt your baby. I also dont think there's any correlation between morning sickness and how you carry your baby.

The only thing you can do to prevent a "big baby" is eat healthy and maintain some physical activity during pregnancy, but even that is more about your health during pregnancy than LOs size. 

My most recent LO was 9lbs 7oz at birth but I never would have guessed when I was pregnant that he'd be that big. I only gained between 20 and 25 lbs and was ALL belly, but still looked and felt great. In comparison, I was much larger (everywhere and in the belly) and gained more weight with DS1 who was just under 8 lbs at birth.

And really, 7 - 8lbs is pretty average, and 9 -10 lbs is certainly not unheard of or necessarily more of a challenge to deliver. (You may be 5'1'' and petite, but your pelvis could still be quite wide). 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for your helpful replies! How would I check if my pelvis is wide or narrow?

Is it based on my hip measurement? 

• imageLaHibiscus:

Thank you for your helpful replies! How would I check if my pelvis is wide or narrow?

Are you for real?  Please, go pick up a book - ANY book - on pregnancy and read it!

imageimage 
  • Yes I am for real. I am sorry if I am being ignorant but I figured no question is a bad question. I am sorry if if my question offended you.  
  • imageLaHibiscus:
    Ahhhh bloating? How do I prevent bloating? Is that bad for the baby if I am bloated?

Wow... this board doesn't usually get MUD. *Waits for "What is MUD" response*

• Anyways, thanks  to all the ladies who took time to help me out with my question. I really appreciate this!
  • atcwagatcwag member
    I always thought that all women "knew" at least some basic pregnancy things, but nothing surprises me now.  My best friend didn't realize until I told her at the age of 25 that your CERVIX dilates, not the opening to your vagina.  She literally thought you just had a huge gaping hole between your legs.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLaHibiscus:

Thank you for your helpful replies! How would I check if my pelvis is wide or narrow?

Well, just in case this isn't MUD (but seriously, pick up a pregnancy book) don't worry about your pelvis. It doesn't always correlate to your hip measurement, plus hormones in pregnancy loosen things up and your hip widen. Then, in labor, more hormones cause things to get nice and loose. On top of that, there are positions you can deliver in that will further widen your pelvis.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • According to the ultrasound tech at my OB's office, baby's pretty much are all similar in size until the third tri when the larger ones put on the most weight and pull ahead. Your baby is way too tiny right now to be creating that bump, so it's just the way your body is interpreting being pregnant. :) I started showing sort of early too; I am small framed and it was like my uterus/belly just wanted to pop! But my baby has never been big and now that I am in my 3rd tri, my belly is measuring on time.

One way to minimize a large baby in the third tri is to cut out sugar and carbs (well, don't get drastic and take on any special diets but just watch the refines sugar/refined carb intake. That should help keep baby a healthy size). I say this having eaten way too many french fries, tonight, sigh. :)

• You're kidding, right? I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Also, macrosomia is only for babies over 8 lbs 15 oz, or 9.5+ lbs. 8 lbs isn't huge.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imageLaHibiscus:
    Yes I am for real. I am sorry if I am being ignorant but I figured no question is a bad question. I am sorry if if my question offended you.  

Oh, there are ALL kinds of bad questions on the Bump. Yours, for example.

ETA: You're the "is home birth safe" poster, aren't you? This is some of the worst MUD/trolling I've ever seen, please do a better job in the future. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

• Cigarettes and alcohol can prevent a big baby, I hear? *duck*
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Home in the bush.
  • Hibiscus, just ignore the rude comments - especially from people who have 5K+ posts and apparently have nothing better to do with their time that scope out boards on TB and make others feel badly. You're 9 weeks pregnant and have plenty of time to learn about all of this - don't stress out.

But if you are considering natural birth (or home birth) I would strongly recommend you pick up some good books (I'd personally recommend Mayo Clinic's Guide for the clinical stuff and either Ina May's Guide to Childbirth or the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth for tons of info on a natural birth), ask your dr or MW lots of questions and plan to take a great childbirth class (we are in the middle of our Bradley classes and love them) so that you are knowledgeable about what is happening with your body and how to cope with labor.

Good luck mama!

BabyFruit Ticker

, EDD 9-9-15

• Bloating is really common in pregnancy, esp. early on. It's not bad for you, but drinking water with a little bit of lemon juice can help with that and swelling. I had a tiny bump before I even knew I was pregnant... I remember waking up one morning and wondering why it seemed like all of the extra fat on my tummy had converged into one place LOL. My belly was so bloated that I already looked clearly pregnant at 9 weeks. Now at 37 weeks, I'm not any bigger than I had expected to be by now...possibly even a bit smaller. Also, I'm only 5 feet tall, so the baby belly looks quite a bit more dramatic then it would on someone taller. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemandy522:

Hibiscus, just ignore the rude comments - especially from people who have 5K+ posts and apparently have nothing better to do with their time that scope out boards on TB and make others feel badly. You're 9 weeks pregnant and have plenty of time to learn about all of this - don't stress out.

LULZ. I bet you feel sorry for our husbands and children, too. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

• I don't feel sorry for your husbands and kids, I'm sure you are a great mom. I just think you need to remember not everyone on the boards already has two kids. It's hard enough to find support out there for for natural birth.

BabyFruit Ticker

, EDD 9-9-15

• imagemandy522:

Hibiscus, just ignore the rude comments - especially from people who have 5K+ posts and apparently have nothing better to do with their time that scope out boards on TB and make others feel badly. You're 9 weeks pregnant and have plenty of time to learn about all of this - don't stress out.

But if you are considering natural birth (or home birth) I would strongly recommend you pick up some good books (I'd personally recommend Mayo Clinic's Guide for the clinical stuff and either Ina May's Guide to Childbirth or the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth for tons of info on a natural birth), ask your dr or MW lots of questions and plan to take a great childbirth class (we are in the middle of our Bradley classes and love them) so that you are knowledgeable about what is happening with your body and how to cope with labor.

Good luck mama!

Couldn't agree with this more.

• imagemandy522:
    I don't feel sorry for your husbands and kids, I'm sure you are a great mom. I just think you need to remember not everyone on the boards already has two kids. It's hard enough to find support out there for for natural birth.

Yes, and a public message board never has trolls asking dumb questions for fun.

DS1 - Feb 2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"