Special Needs
Options

Anyone have to give their LO shots regularly?

My 14 month old DS was recently hospitalized for 13 days due to hypercalcemia. They could not find a cause for the high Calcium levels, but we are controlling it by giving him four subcutaneous shots per day. This is pretty much a two person job - one to hold him down and one to give him the shot.

Does anyone have any tips on giving shots alone? DH wants to join a sports team that would play once a week during the time he would need his shot and he's a SAHD so I want him to be able to play, but I don't know how to do it by myself. The nurse at the hospital suggested swaddling with the appendage out that we're giving the shot into. Right now, we're only doing thighs and upper arms. Any other ideas are appreciated,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have to give their LO shots regularly?

• Options

We give DS growth hormone shots every night before bed and have for the last year and a half. How long have you been doing the shots? I've found that honestly it just gets easier and better over time- DS has recently started fighting us again and I just basically lay as much of my body over his upper extremities (he gets the shot in his upper thigh or buttocks- we alternate daily) and use my forearm to hold the other leg down and use the fingers on that same arm to pinch the skin and hold the shot/pen in my right hand. Sorry if that isnt super clear lol I've also found its best if I do it quickly and dont hesitate (which took time for me to get where I could just psyche myself up enough to just do it quickly, no hesitation to make sure it was placed perfectly or that he was holding perfectly still, etc.) I usually sing a song while I do it too- try to distract him with a song that requires him singing a long. 

Are there any options to make it less painful? A smaller needle guage, warming the meds up in your hand so they arent chilled when going in? Not sure about the specific med you are using but those are 2 things we are doing that help with the growth hormone shots. Also- do you use a traditional syringe and needle or is there an option to get the med loaded in any sort of pen? Many pens have needle guards which some people really like b/c you dont have to see the needle going into the skin. HTH! Hang in there- it will get easier over time, I promise! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

We also give growth hormone shots before bed every night - DS is almost 2, and we started when he was one month old.  He actually now says, "ready, set, GO!"  We have found that his butt cheek and his love handle have been the least painful spots, and we rotate those spots with his upper thighs (and they also have said the belly can be done too). 

At first, DS was great with being distracted by a toy, book, his oral syringe of other meds, etc.  He did go through a period of not liking it, but I tried to like the PP said, just do it quick.  Got everything prepped before I had to gather him.  Got him, did some alligator-style wrestling quickly and gave the shot. 

DS also had a period when he liked to help (our delivery device is an iPod looking thing, with a button to push to inject the needle).  If there's any way to have him help?  I know toddler independence is a big thing at this age.

I do know other parents who use an EMLA numbing cream for every shot, but I think it's a prescription or something you may have to ask a doctor for.  

Hang in there!  I hope that it starts to get easier on everyone very soon!

Our Little Fur Family
    My Three Sons
    #1: 2.06 #2: 1.08 #3: 9.10

DS #3 diagnosed at birth with panhypopituitarism - lack of pituitary function. He is treated with thyroxine, hydrocortisone, growth hormone and testosterone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"