Special Needs

XP -Did you go through placental insufficiency?

Has anyone dealt with this, especially early on?  If so, do you have any words of wisdom or experiences to share?

I know there is a high risk for premature birth and special needs and was hoping someone may have an experience to share.

TIA!

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.

Re: XP -Did you go through placental insufficiency?

• Their are many terms for placental problems and some mean different things to different doctors, and i am obviously not a dr.  I had placental problems with both pregnancies, and they were very different.  I think #2 will relate  more to you but here is a quick recap of both.

#1 low lying placenta turned full previa turned released from bedrest too early resulting in a partial abruption and P having a stroke in utero.  Lots of bleeding during the whole pregnancy (full blown hemorrhage with the abruption) but carried to term. 

#2 at 20week anatomy scan at peri I was told I had placental lakes (I think thats the term they used) Pools of blood in the placenta, and since I was on blood thinners their was a real risk that I could bleed out before the hour drive to the hospital if something were to happen.  2 weeks later those blood pools turned into full blown infarcts and 50% of the placenta was non functional.  Baby continued to measure small, Dropping <5th %.  I went into labor on my own around 35 weeks and they induced because my fluid levels were low as well. She had IUGR from the lack of placental nutrients.  She has had many health problems, mostly immune related and eating related which could be due to her prematurity/size or the placenta, who knows at this point.   

If you have any questions I can try to answer them.  I do remember that around 24 weeks M's head could be felt and so we thought she was going to be way earlier than she ended up coming.  

Did they give you a percentage of your placenta that isn't functioning?  Or is the baby just measuring small?  If you can give me some more details I can try to remember and help any way I can. 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• I was told my DS had IUGR, he was breech with low fluid levels and went into distress without labor at 37 weeks. He has mild cerebral palsy, developmental delays, and was anemic as an infant. My placenta should have gone for pathology but was thrown away so we don't have the answers it may have given. DS has grown well since birth so small for gestational age may be a better fit for him than IUGR. At quick visual my placenta looked okay and I never heard of visual signs that it wasn't normal. My DD's pregnancy was complletely uncomplicated. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"