Adoption

Question on anxiety disorder

Hi All,I'm a newbie to this board.  My husband and I began looking into internat'l adoption several months ago (although I have been researching it for yrs now). I was so disheartened to learn that my diagnosis of mild anxiety disorder (I take a daily low dose of Lexapro) makes us essentially ineligible for IA, including the waiting children programs in China and Korea, as well as Ethiopia, Kazakhstan... I never thought this would be such an issue and it has really been upsetting. I understand that schizophrenia or severe bipolar disorder would be concerning, but mild depression or anxiety that is treated and under good control? Even with a very favorable letter from my treating physician we were declined. If I successfully wean off the medication we may be able to adopt from China or Korea after a requisite period of time has elapsed, although I am afraid over time the rules will continue to get more strict.  For other countries, since the history will still be there they will not accept us no matter what.  Again, it is just so very disheartening.  I realize that domestic adoption does not have the same restrictions so we have recently begun looking into that too.  Has anyone been in a situation like this?  Just looking for some advice and input. 
Thanks so much!

Re: Question on anxiety disorder

• We did not have a similar situation, but we have had several people post over the years with similar issues asking about eligibility.

As the pp noted, it's more of a country-specific thing than agency-specific, as I'm sure you've gathered. From our experience with domestic adoption, and with other discussions, it shouldn't be a major impediment to you adopting domestically. You'll typically need documentation from your dr that you're expected to live a normal lifespan. And you may need something additionally that says you are well-controlled on your meds, just because of your history.

But my advice has always been to ask potential agencies/law firms/etc. upfront and see what their policy is so you're not surprised down the road.

I am not familiar with IA, so I don't have any advice on whether there are any countries with fewer restrictions for you. Hopefully some other IA parents will chime in.

• Have you checked out less-popular countries? DH and I are adopting from Uganda, and they may be okay with a note from your physician. Of course, they also may not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and was medicated for a year in like 2009 or something.  I went off meds to TTC and have stayed off,  but I still have that problem in my medical records.  Right now, IA isn't in our plans (we are looking into foster to adopt and are still in IF treatment), but infant adoption is a possibility for our future, and we are aware that IA would be significantly more difficult because I took those meds.  It's so frustrating, because it does feel like you are being punished for taking care of yourself, and, of course, it highlights the stigma against mental illnesses.  I wish I could fix it or offer words of wisdom, but I can only say that I am sorry.  I hope you find countries that are more lenient or that domestic adoption becomes a good path for you. 

• Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support!  Much appreciated! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"