Baby Showers
Options

not finding out, shower before or after??

So I am only 9 weeks preggo but my best friend and mother are already talking about a baby shower. My husband and I have decided that we do not want to find out if its a boy or girl. I am totally ok with with not have a ton of blue and pink stuff and would really be happy with yellow, green, etc. but everyone keeps telling me that they need to know for buying purposes. So my question is how do you feel about having a shower after the baby is born?? My mother is totally for this (but I am due in March and she always travels during that time, so I think that she has different motives) and my bf wants to have it in January.

My concern about this is that we wont have any of the things that we will need prior to the baby coming or that we will need to buy everything ourselves, which is fine but will be a big price tag.

Thoughts??

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: not finding out, shower before or after??

• Options
    I think having the shower after just because you don't know the sex yet is silly.  Just tell your mom "they make gender neutral clothes, which is what I'd prefer anyhow.  This is your party to throw, so it's ultiamtely up to you, but I'd rather have the shower before I have the baby.".
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    I think having the shower after just because you don't know the sex yet is silly.  Just tell your mom "they make gender neutral clothes, which is what I'd prefer anyhow.  This is your party to throw, so it's ultiamtely up to you, but I'd rather have the shower before I have the baby.".

This.

We are Team Green and are having the shower before having the baby. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Team green and having shower before. If you plan on having more kids you won't want all pink or blue items anyway. I think their reason is just an excuse to make you change your mind to find out the sex of baby. No one has to buy clothes if they are dead set against gender neutral. And once you have the baby I'm sure your mom will go nuts buying gender specific clothing then or people may bring you outfits as gifts afterwards as well. 
  • Options

imagetobysnuggles:
    Team green and having shower before. If you plan on having more kids you won't want all pink or blue items anyway. I think their reason is just an excuse to make you change your mind to find out the sex of baby. No one has to buy clothes if they are dead set against gender neutral. And once you have the baby I'm sure your mom will go nuts buying gender specific clothing then or people may bring you outfits as gifts afterwards as well. 

THIS.

If you plan on having more kids, have your shower before the baby arrives and make sure you register for all gender neutral gear. It would be silly to load up on pink and then find out #2 is a boy.

Clothes are different. In my experience, you will get more gear and less clothes by being team green, but people will buy/bring clothes after the baby is born. Just make sure to register for a pack of white onesies and you will be set until you have time to really shop. And people will still give neutral clothing.

Have a shower before. You might be too exhausted to even think about a shower afterwards. And I don't really like the idea of having the baby at the shower - too many people touching the baby.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    imagesfochler:

My concern about this is that we wont have any of the things that we will need prior to the baby coming or that we will need to buy everything ourselves, which is fine but will be a big price tag.

Thoughts??

PSA:  Your baby, your bill.  Don't expect everyone to buy anything and you will never be disappointed.  Odds are all you are going to get is clothing or generic stuff like blankets, even with being team green.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    sesigssesigs member
    Keep it before the baby arrives. Moving it simply because people want to buy you blue or pink clothes is silly. If people ask you what you are having just tell them you are waiting to find out and are requesting gender neutral things. Besides, you will be able to use Team Green gear easier for subsequent babies! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Like all of the PP said, have it before.  It is smart, aside from clothes, to get gender neutral items anyway (and there are a lot of cute gender neutral clothes out there too).  We know the sex of our LO, but registered for/bought gender neutral items that can be reused for a future child regardless of the sex.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We were team green and the shower before the baby.  I have hosted a couple of showers after the babies were born and the MTB's obviously had to purchase some items before the baby arrived (carseat, bassinet or crib, diapers, few onesies or sleepers, bottles or breast pump, etc).  Newborns don't need a lot of stuff. 

Keep in mind that just because you've registerd for things guests don't always purchase off your registry so you might end up having to purchase a lot of the stuff yourself.  People want to know the gender so they can buy CLOTHES and trust me on this - you will get a TON of them whether they know the gender or not...but you will most likely get less if they don't know.

• Options

Honestly, it strikes me as more gift-grabby to do it after the baby is born. 

"Oh WE don't want to find out the sex until it's born, but we also don't want YOU to buy us crap until we know."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That is ridiculous that people would tell you they "need to know for gift buying purposes". Team green here and just had an amazing shower with very generous gender-neutral gifts. Have it before.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's really only clothes and nursery decoration that this is an issue for. I knew DD #1 was a girl before she was born, but I still registered for all gender neutral things (esp big things like high chair, pnp, swing) because a) I thought they would go with the decor of our house better and b) I knew we wanted to have more kids. Looking back, I'm super happy I don't have all pink or blue things! I've done al of the kid's nurseries really gender specific but most other things are not.

m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We were team green with our first and had our shower before DD was born.  It was great because our next two children were boys so the gender neutral things were definitely more versatile.  I agree with PP don't have the shower purely because you don't know the gender of your baby...that doesn't make much sense.  Generations ago, women couldn't find out the gender of their baby because the technology wasn't there.  They didn't have their showers after the birth to ensure the right colours.  FWIW I don't understand everyone else's need to find out the gender of your baby.  We ran into the same problem with our third.  Everyone kept asking and pestering us to find out.  We stayed strong as team green but I never got it.  Hope everything works out. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"