August 2011 Moms
Options

What are your thoughts on this?

I saw this on TV and I thought it was interesting to watch. I like how the mom is supportive and I think the little boy is very bright and spunky.

Curious to see what you ladies think or if you have seen it what where your thoughts? If your H/SO saw this what did they think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924aqvnhNDQ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: What are your thoughts on this?

• Options

For that mom and son, that's absolutely fantastic.

For us, we'd have to see how it works out.  If the boys end up liking "female" dominated arenas, we'll do what's appropriate.  But, I can't say for certain.

We're raising the boys in a typical male fashion, but if they feel that they relate more closely to the female gender so be it.  I'm certainly not going to discourage that.

Seven...  I dunno.  I don't have any experience with that age, developmentally speaking, so I really can't say what I'd do.  

Honestly, we're just trying to raise respectful, loving kids.

DH's reaction:

I think this specific example would rub him wrong.  He doesn't like women who act like divas much less men who act like divas.  I don't think it's a guy/girl thing... it's an obnoxious thing. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    eesomeeesome member
    I don't like pageants, and am pretty against them because of what most pageant mom's do to their children. That being said-- if my son wanted to go into Broadway or have dolls or dress like a girl, I would allow it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's great when you see a kid that obviously enjoys an activity and isn't doing it because the parents are pushing something just because they are interested in it.

I'll be honest, we will likely end up gearing our child (and any future children) towards activities that are traditional to their gender, if that makes sense.  For example, M will be introduced to dance and gymnastics, and any future little boys will be introduced to activities like karate, t-ball, etc.  If they eventually show an interest in something else, that is perfectly fine and we will be supportive, but that is where we will start. 

And here is why:  My brother had two older sisters who danced.  My parents signed him up for t-ball and karate, and he did both for a number of years, but all he really wanted to do was dance.  While it is great that he found his passion (which is now his career)  at a very young age, it also made growing up very difficult for him in a lot of ways.  He had to deal with kids calling him gay and making fun of him at school and I know that was really rough on him.  Growing up is tough enough without that kind of heartache, and I hope that I never have to see my child go through what he did. 

As for DH - if he saw that video clip, I'm pretty sure he'd respond with a "hell no, not my son."  But....I know deep down he will do anything to make our kid(s) happy.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"