Food Allergy
Options

Okay- Really????

So, I just got a call back from the GI's office, and they said our swallow study came back normal.  Really?  She took .5 oz, and they never caught her swallowing it, because she only it by being held by us, then being put on the table and trying to get her to drink more (she wouldn't).  How would that tell you if she is swallowing normal?  I can see if they said her tummy looked normal, because that is what the XRay doctor said- that it will be a 'limited' study because they can't catch her actually swallowing under the Xray machine.  Also, I suspect she has EoE.  Does this 'normal' study mean anything in regards to that-or is it really not related because the biopsy needs to be done to diagnose? 

My head is swimming.  I was initially happy to hear the message on my cell, saying she had a normal study and no need to call the office back, but then, I was like, how?  And, of course I am going to call you back!  I think we need a scope!  Just because she had a normal study doesn't mean she is eating anything yet!

ARGHHHHHHHH!  My first annoyance with doctors about my kid.  I have a feeling, not my last!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Okay- Really????

• Options

I would switch docs asap! you need someone a little more caring and someone that wants to find out what the problem is and he sounds dismissive.

Sorry you're going through this. Its terrible when you don't have answers!  Hope you get some answers sooN! 

• Options

Thanks for the response- what frustration!

I called the doc back and they clarified to say that there are no abnormalities in her digestive tract, but don't have any other info.  So, we still don't know why she is not eating.  I said we were going to the allergist.  Then, the doc said to come back when we have those answers.  If I hadn't had people to talk to here and give me some guidance, I would still be out there lost with no plan of action.  THANK GOD FOR THE BUMP AND THE PEOPLE ON HERE!!!!!!  You guys are seriously great and have helped me so much!  

So, next to find new docs and get allergy testing done.  Hopefully we have some better luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yea it sucks when doctors are not as proactive as you;d like them to be.  I've always said that as mamas, we have to be advocates for our children.  We know them best.

When my pediatrician was saying that my son was probably vomiting because he wasn't drinking enough while eating, or he was choking on his food, I followed my gut and went to the GI.  If it wash;t for that, we would've never found out he had EOE.  Poor thing probably still would've been puking every day!!!  At least now we have the potential for healing!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

A normal swallow study does NOT rule out EoE.  Only a biopsy can diagnose it.  We've had to do swallow studies prior to being scoped/biopsied, so personally I'd use the "normal swallow" as a stepping stone to a scope. 

FWIW, my severely refluxing son, who is still on high dose PPI's, had a perfectly "normal" swallow study.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"