Two Under 2

Another crib or a twin bed

DS will be 22 months when LO is born, and I'm going back and forth on what to do.  I'd love to get him a twin bed and move him into his "big boy" room and just reuse the crib for the new LO.  Then, I can covert the crib when needed into a toddler bed for the second child.  However, DS is a GREAT sleeper and I am really afraid of ruining that.

Anyone have any suggestions on what's worked well for them in this situation?  If we move him into a twin bed/different room, I'd probably start the process 2-3 months before LO is born, so he'd be 19-20 months.  Help please!  Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another crib or a twin bed

• My plan is to keep DD in her crib as long as possible.  I figure the baby will be in the basinette for the first 6 months and then if I need to borrow a second crib for awhile if necessary I will do that.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another crib, IMO. I wouldn't want to rush it just because a new baby is coming. DS is 19 months and no where NEAR ready for a real bed. I can't trust him to not hurt himself yet (getting up and down off the bed).

DD was 24 months when we moved her and that worked well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • DD moved into her toddler bed around 18 months and she took to it from day one. I've read that "toddler beds are a waste", but I love it. It's small and easy for her to get in and out of.

I got everything - crib mattress, sheets and bed - on Amazon for under $300.

ETA: DD LOVED our bed, so we thought she would be ready. The idea was to get the toddler bed and move it into her room to get her used to it. Then we would move her into it when she was ready. Since DS would be in a bassinet, it wouldn't matter when she took to it.

She slept in it the first night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are keeping DD in her crib -- she will be 21 months when the new baby comes.

However, she is not yet walking, and in fact, just started pulling up onto her feet a few days ago. So I really don't think she will be ready for a toddler bed for a while yet. I am thinking maybe around 2 for the toddler bed and then switching to the full size bed a year or two after that.

In any case, we bought her a convertible crib and will buy a second convertible for her bro, so they will both use their beds for many years to come. I feel like given that situation, $300 isn't bad to spend on a new crib for LO.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am in the same boat.  I bought a toddler bed thinking close to the ground if he falls and inexpensive.  Problem is he climbs out as soon as I walk out of the room but sleeps great in his crib.  I decided to buy another crib that converts to a toddler bed instead so both boys will have cribs that switch to toddler beds when their ready.  Then when ready I will buy twin beds or convert their toddler beds to full beds with conversion kit.  Good luck Big Smile
    I was married June 16, 2007 Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"