August 2011 Moms
Options

Tell me about nap time

Specifically, how long does your LO take to fall asleep once you put them in their crib? What kinds of things do they do to get themselves to sleep? This is all new to me because I recently trained DD to put herself to sleep so I'm curious to hear from others. :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell me about nap time

• Options
    It's only been about 2 weeks since LO learned how to put herself to sleep, but it usually takes her anywhere from 1 minute to 20 minutes to fall asleep. Most of the time, there's no crying, but occasionally she may cry for a minute or two when I first put her down. Somedays, she cries for longer. Torture. The rest of the time she spends trying to get comfortable- crawling around, "burrowing" into her doll or blankie, sitting up, then laying down again in a different spot, before finally settling down on her belly. She will sometimes fall asleep with her tush up in the air, which I find so hysterical. I have even seen her humping a bit (lol) to soothe herself to sleep. I think this is normal??
  • Options

All normal.

Nap usually takes about 5 minutes. if they're having some trouble falling asleep, we'll rub their backs for a bit. They nap on cots now at daycare, so we try to keep it consistent with what their teachers do (they are obviously in their cribs at home).

Our big issue is overnight. I don't care if they cry (its just one really) for an hour at bedtime (which is rare anyway) but i just can't handle the crying at 1 am right now. We've had a rough stretch of teeth and illnesses and need to CIO again I know, but Tues night it lasted an hour and i just gave in because I can't sleep through it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

All normal.

For naps, she cries when I lay her down 98% of the time.  It's usually no more than a minute and she stops by the time I get downstairs.  And there is definitely a difference between this crying, which is more like whining, and all-out crying.  She also likes to scoot around in the crib to get herself comfortable.  All of this is usually no longer than 10 minutes total, if she doesn't go right to sleep.

BUT....once we get into the 10-15 minute range, she is usually NOT going to sleep, gets bored and starts crying.  This is when we try to take a morning nap, which is occurring with less and less frequency lately.  In these cases, I generally end up getting her and playing and having lunch and she just takes one nap in the afternoon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I put her sleepblanket on, her paci in her mouth and I lay her in her crib on her tummy.  Sometimes she rocks her hips side to side but not always.  If she doesn't like the direction I put her in she'll usually just flip 180 degrees and put her head at the other end of the crib and then go straight to sleep.  As long as she's on her tummy and has her paci she's out very quickly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    S-TunaS-Tuna member
    We read a book or two, turn on a music/light toy that is attached to his crib, and walk out. The music thing plays for 10 minutes. DS usually rolls and talks for a few minutes, and then he falls asleep. He is usually asleep by the time the music stops.
  • Options
    Thanks girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"