Pittsburgh Babies
Options

PPD question

Hi Ladies,

I think I may be suffering from PPD.  I feel the need to cry almost all the time, I'm snippy back to people and feel like I am constantly fighting with DH.  I have none of these feeling when I am around DS.  I need to know where to start.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  

Thanks.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PPD question

• Options
    I am only newly pg with my first, so I don't really have any advice or resources on that yet - I just wanted to express support.  I hope you feel better soon!  I would speak with your doctor as soon as possible, since I'm sure he or she has helped countless women through the very same situation.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ghdst1ghdst1 member

You can call your health insurance to locate therapists or doctors that accept your plans who you can go see for help, medication, whatever you need. 

This is so common and it is very strong of you to recognize it and want to do something about it.

There are also lots of local providers in the Pgh area depending on where exactly you live.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First off, I'm glad you are able to realize something is off and asking/seeking help! I suffered PPD with my daughter, with my son it has been well controlled unmedicated! First check with your insurance and check your mental health benefits,you may need to tell their advisor your symptoms/issues so they can guide you to the right consoulor.  Then I would make an appt with your PCP, they can give you medication to help the anxiety feelings, if you are breastfeeding there are a few meds that are safe!! Then keep open dialogue with both your PCP and therapists and family...know you aren't alone and there are plenty moms who are overwhelmed and suffer from PPD and improve with the right treatments and open dialogues with all involved!
    Kristen&Randy Married:6/30/2007 Had Faith 6/17/2008 Robbie 10/12/2011 image photos by Oh What Love Photography and Design imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Congrats on your bump MizMess!  And thank you 6307bride and ghdst1.  Thank you all so much for your support!  I really appreciate it.  I have called Highmark for resources and they are useless.  She just went online and was giving me names of any Psychologist, not ones that specialized in PPD.  WTH, I could have done that myself!  So I am going to call my OB/GYN today and see what they say.  I also did some research online and found another woman that may work.  I think my main problem is going to be that I will have to go to Oakland and I work full time.  So not convenient. Oh well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Try even talking with a psycho therapist, that may help! The psychologist can give rx, but the therapists usually can't for the rx you have to go through your reg PCP. If you ever feel you need someone to vent to before you go back to work feel free to email me,just let me know your from the nest first;) soc4chikmed1983 at Comcast dot net !! Try not to stress too much about it! If you are from the westmoreland county side I suggest Family Behavioral Resources Jamie Lawson! Both dh and I both used him for privates and together,....sometimes it helps just talking through the anxiety and feeling and not worrying of they specialize 100% with PPD! Good luck and try to keep us posted
    Kristen&Randy Married:6/30/2007 Had Faith 6/17/2008 Robbie 10/12/2011 image photos by Oh What Love Photography and Design imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ghdst1ghdst1 member

There are different providers in diff areas of Pgh if going to Oakland is difficult for you.  Where do you live?  I might be able to better guide you to a provider closer to you.  I work for Mercy Behavioral Health as a therapist so I am familiar with the different agencies in the area.

Also if you are interested in medication to help with your PPD I strongly recommend seeing a psychiatrist for medication because that is their speciality.  If your PCP or OBGYN are willing to give you a script until you can get in to see a Psychiatrist that might benefit you until you can meet with a psychiatrist.

• Options
    ghdst1ghdst1 member
    Also...I just remembered that Highmark has their own search online.  I have Highmark insurance as well and you can find doctors, therapists,etc...I think they have options for specialties as well.  Just another thought since the woman you called from Highmark was no help.
  • Options

I don't know exactly where you live, but there is a support group called "Baby Steps" in St. Clair hospital in Mount Lebanon. Very very helpful. They meet 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month.

Here is a link to the website.

https://www.stclair.org/calendar/view_dates/event:30 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"