1st Trimester
Options

impatiently waiting

my first OB appointment is on monday and i can hardly stand the thought of waiting another 5 days... i've been seeing a lot of posts about ladies knowing their hcg levels and all pretty early (around 4 or 5 wks) and it makes me really nervous that i have no idea what mine are doing. i'm contemplating telling the doc that i need to reschedule my appointment for this week!

my husband has also put the thought of twins into my head, so i'm SUPER excited about seeing if i've got one or two LOs in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: impatiently waiting

• Options

Unfortunately all you can do is be patient. At this point, there isn't much going on and your first appointment will probably be boring. Urine, weight, blood pressure, a bunch of paper work and your initial panel of bloodwork.

Do you know for sure that your OB does beta? All OBs don't do them...

• Options
    imageMissNikki007:

This. Also, it is a good thing you don't need them run-most of the time, women who need their levels checks do so due to history of losses or trouble conceiving.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMissNikki007:

no idea... i told him i wasn't really sure how far along i was, so he may so something - betas or u/s to verify.

does everyone get an u/s on the first visit? i'd be really bummed if he didn't even look for a heartbeat!

• Options
    imagemegganc:
    imageMissNikki007:

no idea... i told him i wasn't really sure how far along i was, so he may so something - betas or u/s to verify.

does everyone get an u/s on the first visit? i'd be really bummed if he didn't even look for a heartbeat!

Nope. Many, many women get one u/s, at around 20 weeks (anatomy scan).  Some doctors do a viability scan around 8-10 weeks, but that depends on your doctor and your insurance coverage.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor refused to do betas for me...I asked to get the levels measured with blood work and she said it would most likely cause more anxiety, and if i was cramping AND bleeding at the same time, she would then do my betas for me. I'm lucky that she's giving me a 7 week ultrasound to look for a heartbeat...and I'm also lucky insurance will pay for pretty frequent ultrasounds!
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with DS, they never tested my levels.  This time around this one did because I had a rocky beginning.  
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    my first app. with the OB will be with an u/s. However it seems to vary by office, state and insurance

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• Options
    All Dr.s are different. I won't go until 8 weeks and that's just with a nurse who does routine history and questions. Won't see my OB until after 10 weeks to listen for heartbeat. Long wait!
  • Options

imagemollyj931:
    All Dr.s are different. I won't go until 8 weeks and that's just with a nurse who does routine history and questions. Won't see my OB until after 10 weeks to listen for heartbeat. Long wait!

Same - my first appointment is 1 week away and I will be in the middle of my 10th week.  My new OB didn't want to see me until 8-10 weeks.  My first pregnancy I went my old OB right away, which ended up being a waste of time.  I then had to go back two more times within the first month to keep listening for a heart beat because I went in too early for my first appointment. 

• Options
    imagemegganc:
    imageMissNikki007:

Not always. It depends on the practice. 

We had a Doppler for hearing the heart beat. That was at 8 weeks. Then at 12 weeks we got our first ultrasound. 

I know you are excited, but you are going to have to dig up some patience. Most people that really need early betas & ultrasounds have very sad histories of IF and/or loss of their babies. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I definitely understand feeling impatient. I am still waiting on my results from my bloodwork and urine test done last Tuesday. I am pretty sure the doctor either lost my sample or my results but no one will return my calls. I haven't even scheduled a "first" appointment yet. I went in last week for a quick urine test and blood work and once my results are back from that they would call me to schedule my first appt. 

Try to keep busy in the next few days and your appt will be here before you know it! GL! 

• Options
    sesigssesigs member
    imagemegganc:
    imageMissNikki007:

Ultrasound is better than betas for dating pregnancy. However, unless your cycles are really crazy and irregular they won't do any tests for dating and just go by your LMP. If you have a normal pregnancy (no bleeding) and no history of losses or trouble TTC then you will likely not get betas drawn or an early US.

My practice only does one US at 20 weeks for the anatomy scan. I didn't get to hear the HB via doppler until 11 weeks. It can be stressful not knowing what is going on in there but unless there is reason for it testing/US/etc is very minimal. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"