January 2013 Moms
Options

Changing Table Stand Alone or with Hutch

After much input from you ladies, I have found a nursery set that I LOVE!

It was hard because I wanted cherry finish and I wanted a hutch.

I found the Savanna Grayson set at JCPenny's. Here is a link to the changing table/hutch:

https://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/kids/girls/shop-all-girls/fair-square-prices/best-prices/savanna-grayson-changing-table-or-hutch/prod.jump?ppId=18841ee&selectedLotId=3434138&selectedSKUId=34341380018&navState=navState-:catId-:subcatId-:subcatZone-false:N-:Ns-:Nao-0:ps-24:pn-1:Ntt-savanna+grayson:Nf-:action-search&catId=SearchResults

My question is, will it be difficult to change the baby on a hutch like this? I'm guessing it may be easier on a stand alone changing table, but I really like the idea of being able to use the hutch in future years when a changing table is no longer necessary. Thoughts?

Also, the whole set that comes with this hutch, crib, and a four drawer dresser is $950. This isn't including the hutch top which is an additional $200. Is this a ridiculous amount to spend on nursery furniture? I feel like both the hutch and dresser can be used as our child grows up and I am in love with the set. Although I realize I could get a set that I don't love so much for cheaper...I know it is my decision, but I always appreciate your input! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Changing Table Stand Alone or with Hutch

• Options
    I would get the hutch without the top right now, and get the other piece later, if you wish. I wouldn't feel comfortable changing the baby under those shelves, and at about 6 months he/she may start pulling things down.

As for the money...that's really only a decision you can make. I have not hidden the fact that I feel I completely wasted my money on expensive nursery furniture. This stuff knicks, and if you spend a lot of money, it will p!ss you right off.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I have a hard time imagining a 2 year old would fit well length-wise on that without kicking the hutch (which would make me nervous). This isn't to say you couldn't buy the hutch now and just save it for when LO grows out of diapers.

However, those changing table/dressers are NMS - I don't think they grow well with children as it's really pretty obvious they were designed as a changing table. (And I wouldn't want something that looked like a changing table in my room as a kid.) Just my opinion though. So for me, $425 + $200 for 2-3 years of use is pretty steep. 

BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally don't like changing tables at all, but I realize I may be in the minority. I prefer to change a baby sitting on the floor so that I'm directly in front of them, not sideways. A table is way too difficult. But that's just my preference :)
           I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• Options
    imagerunlong3:

I have a hard time imagining a 2 year old would fit well length-wise on that without kicking the hutch (which would make me nervous). This isn't to say you couldn't buy the hutch now and just save it for when LO grows out of diapers.

However, those changing table/dressers are NMS - I don't think they grow well with children as it's really pretty obvious they were designed as a changing table. (And I wouldn't want something that looked like a changing table in my room as a kid.) Just my opinion though. So for me, $425 + $200 for 2-3 years of use is pretty steep. 

Really? You think the hutch looks like a changing table design? I figured once they were out of the changing table phase, I would have pictures up there, and it would look like a hutch. But maybe I'm wrong! I can only see it online, not in person.

• Options
    imagehohmanam:
    imagerunlong3:

Really? You think the hutch looks like a changing table design? I figured once they were out of the changing table phase, I would have pictures up there, and it would look like a hutch. But maybe I'm wrong! I can only see it online, not in person.

Okay, hold on. I'm getting confused. Let me clarify. The hutch is the top portion of that unit of furniture with the shelves and can be detached. You can use hutches on anything from dressers to desks. The bottom portion (where you place the changing pad and has the drawers) is the changing table. 

So no. The hutch looks fine and would grow with your child, but not the changing table. I've seen these before and I think they just look awkward when it's not used for it's original purpose since the cabinet side is higher than the drawer side. I'm sure you could buy it and continue to use it and no one would think twice about it, it's just not something I would pick for "growing" piece as it's not a dresser I would buy for a 6 year old. But, like I said, it's just my opinion. 

BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

If you can keep the hutch off for a couple years, I think it could work.  But the way it is with the hutch will definitely not work for more than 6-9 months.  Baby will be trying to sit up and will be kicking things and possibly bonking his/her head.

With DD we got a regular dresser (not baby furniture) and added a changing pad to the top of it.  It works perfectly for us, and I know that the dresser will be totally fine in her room as she gets older.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejjgal:

With DD we got a regular dresser (not baby furniture) and added a changing pad to the top of it.  It works perfectly for us, and I know that the dresser will be totally fine in her room as she gets older.   

This is what we are planning on doing.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    imageBabyHope2013:
    imagejjgal:

This is what we are planning on doing.

We did this with my sons room. My DH is a carpenter and he made a beautiful dresser for his room, and we used just the changing pad on the top and he made and installed a shelf above where we put the dresser for putting diapers/wipes all that stuff on. We had a changing table with my first born, and i wasnt impressed with it (for the money we paid). We had such a great experience w/ the dresser top/changing table  (that he obviously uses as just a dresser now), that DH is making a new one for babys room!!! Its a real money saver bc you just take away the changing pad and no one would know it was originally for a baby! Much more cost efficient IMO

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I don't know about whether it will be harder to change the baby with the hutch on, but it may be a safety concern unless you have it bolted to the wall to ensure it doesn't fall down. Or you could always buy the hutch and just not put it on until the baby was older?

I have looked at a lot of crib and changing table sets and originally thought I would end up spending a lot of money on everything. After thinking about it we are going really frugal with the crib and changing table because we are not planning on using these things after the baby is more than a year or two old. So we are going with function over design on the furniture. (It will still be cute...but cheapie cute! Think Ikea.)

The stroller(s) will be our big ticket items because we live in a city and walk everywhere. The thousands of dollars we'll have saved on baby furniture can be put toward a college fund or family vacation.

If it means a lot to you you should just buy the furniture you like. But if you are trying to budget and think you can do something a lot cheaper, think about where you could spend the money instead where it will have lasting impact (vs furniture you may throw away in a few years).

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"