Dads & Dads-to-be

Gift for my son

I want to buy something that I can share with my son when he gets older.  I was thinking a bottle of whiskey would be a nice thing to get. any good whiskey suggestions or any suggestions other than whiskey?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gift for my son

• Personally I would recommend "Buffalo Trace" whiskey.  Its really smooth and mellow.  Its also the only whiskey in the top 5 for wine spectator that was under 200$ at whopping 40$ or so.  Scotches are too hard and too expensive.  I think that would have been bitchin if my Dad did that for me, my Dad just passed me a joint when I was 18, it was cool of him and all, but not as sentimental.
  • I have been thinking about this now for a couple of months.  I want to get something for the little man that he will be able to associate with me and all the good times that I know we will have in the upcoming years.

Stein's are very big in Milwaukee, with all the brewery's and German heritage.  that was one idea that I had.

I struggle with this because I do not know his personality yet.  For me, picking gifts for loved one's depends on knowing their personality.

In Milwaukee we have Great Lakes Distillery and they make very good Gin and Vodka spirits.  Went through a bottle of the vodka getting ready on my wedding day with my wedding party.  I only drink it on special occassions, but it really is the best vodka I have ever tasted.

• Loading the player...
  • My wife is from Russia, so I think I'm going to get a bottle of Russian Vodka.  I was thinking about getting a nice bottle of Bourbon, so he has something from the states too.  Do you know any good bottles of bourbon?  I plan on giving him the bottles when he turns 21, or whatever the drinking age is in the future.
  • The one I suggested is a bourbon.

https://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=57&task=displaybottling

wine spectator gave it a 93 out of 100, that's super high.

• It looks like a good one.  I'll have to try it to make sure my son will like it.
  • I like this idea, but chances are I won't write in it all the time.
  • I did this on a word document.  You may write a lot in the very early stages, but it tails off unless you stay dedicated.  The last 8 entries have been weeks apart and always starts off with "Daddy dropped the ball on keeping up with this".
  • imagepolooo26:

I'm not for sure if by other suggestions you mean other types of alcohol. I've never heard of buying a gift when they're born and then giving it to them later, but it is a neat idea.

My in-laws got me a 5-year journal to write something in every day. I kept it up for a year and now I just write in it when he does something worthy to be written down.

I'll probably give it to him when he finds out he's going to have his own kid.

We got a "First Year" book from one of the showers.  I will have it next to me by the bed so I can do a short entry every night.  I love to write, so I don't think I will have a problem with it.  I can totally understand how those who do not have a passion for writing would have trouble keeping up with it on a daily basis.  For some people writing is like math is for me....BRUTAL!!

• I think I will leave the writing to my wife.  Did anyone do anything else?
  • List of awesome things other than alcohol I wish I got when I turned 18

1. BB gun

2. Survival knife

3. Lock pick set

4. The Kama Sutra

5. A cool ring or watch?

6. Flask

7. Some type of camping gear, maybe?

8. A pool cue

9. Not a journal

10. Engraved tool set. (If they do that kind of thing)

Just off the top of my head

• Nice list, but most of that stuff I plan on getting him before he turns 18. I do like the engraved tool set idea.
  • Is your dad the most interesting man in the world? 

If so stay thirsty my friend.  

DS1 July 7, 2011 DS2 Expected November 25, 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I do have a bottle of rum I bought on our honeymoon in Hawaii I can save for him.  I was planning on using it to toast his arrival into the world.
  • I love this idea of personalized glasses.  I'm not sure how many different bottles of alcohol I want to get.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"