June 2011 Moms
Options

Working from home with nanny (not working out anymore)

Another nanny question. We currently have a part time nanny. It was great in the beginning. She's been with us since DS was 4 months old. Now it's not so nice. I work part time from home and DS cries every time he sees me in the office (French doors). I have to sneak around the house so that he doesn't see/hear me. I even avoid taking calls in the house. I sit in my car for conf calls. 

Has this happened to anyone? It's so bad that I'm looking into sending him to a part time daycare. Our home is a modest size, but not small. She even takes him out for long walks, plays with him outside, keeps him entertained, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Working from home with nanny (not working out anymore)

• Options

Idk.  I think I would try not worrying about it so much.  Of course he wants to be with you if he sees you, but he's going to have to learn that he can't sit in your lap all day.  I think I'd tell him that "mommy has to work right now, I'll play with you later" and redirect him to the nanny.  This is what I do when Audrey is wanting attention but I'm in the middle of something important or can't pick her up for whatever reason.  Only no nanny, I just have to tell her that it's not a good time.  Most of the time, she moves on to something else.  The only time she doesn't is if she isn't feeling well and really does need me.

That being said...if you think that is too hard I think he is a great age to start DC and you can probably find 3 day/week rates for  less than or equal to what you're paying a nanny.

• Options

I'm sorry it's not working out. That said, don't fear daycare. My kids go two days a week (I work parttime) and they flourish there. We found an excellent small (and licensed!) place that follows a curriculum; my kids adore their teachers and their teachers truly love them back. They have a bunch of buddies they look forward to seeing every time they go. We view it more as an educational and social experience for them and in fact take them some days even when I'm not working. 

I know it's hard to change your routine, but I wanted to offer my positive daycare experience. Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would you and the nanny be willing to let her watch him at her house? That way they're out of the house but he gets to stay with his nanny and not have to go to daycare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Could you put curtains on your office doors? Then you could (if the layout allows) baby gating off a section/hall, etc. saying this area is off limits for a specific amt of time?  Make sure the nanny has everything she needs (diapers, wipes, snacks, toys, etc) so that they are not in the office/section of the house you're in?
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• Options

You women are awesome. Thanks for responding. My post was a post/run so I'm just checking it out today.

kattyleigh - thanks for the positive post. I'm looking into one this week close by.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"