September 2012 Moms
Options

Desitin vs Butt Paste

Just curious what you STM+ use.  I grew up in a Desitin house; my mom used Desitin for all six of us kids.  My grandma gave us a bunch of butt paste as part of my shower gift. 

After working in a daycare infant room, I am really not partial to either one, but am curious which one you prefer and why?  Does one work better than the other?  If you use something completely different have you tried these; if so why did you choose to use a different rash cream?

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Desitin vs Butt Paste

• Options
    I've only used Desitin and it's always worked so I haven't had a need to try anything else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've used both.  And, honestly I don't have a preference. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    I have only used Butt Paste. It works fine so I haven't bothered to check out anything else.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

Every baby is different.  We used only Butt Paste on DS and it worked well for him, but found a locally made powder was the only thing that cleared up DD's bum - Butt Paste did nothing for her.

I wouldn't stock up on any more than what grandma already gave you, and maybe even return some of those if she gave you more than 1-2 tubes. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DS only had very mild diaper rash twice. We used butt paste because I hate the smell of desitin. It worked overnight for us both times.
    DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Options
    imagemlf625:

Every baby is different.  We used only Butt Paste on DS and it worked well for him, but found a locally made powder was the only thing that cleared up DD's bum - Butt Paste did nothing for her.

I wouldn't stock up on any more than what grandma already gave you, and maybe even return some of those if she gave you more than 1-2 tubes

Can't return it.  She apparently knows someone who works for the company or something.  But I have plenty of friends and family who either just had or will be having babies so if LO can't use it I am sure they will be more than happy to use it.

• Options

We would use a dab of A&D on a daily basis & then use Butt Paste on the occasion he had redness or irritation. I think it works very well.

We've been pretty lucky that DS has only had actual diaper rash once ever. But in that case, the Butt Paste cleared it by the next day.

I have a tube of Desitin, but never needed to open it. I grew up in a Desitin house, too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We used a mixture of desitin and A&D with our first, and he didn't have any problems.  However, DS2 had issues with diaper rash and I was amazed how much better the Butt Paste did than Desitin with him.  So, it depends on the kid, but I really liked the Butt Paste (note:  I did not grow up a Butt Paste girl either!  lol)

DS - 9/12/08 9 lbs 22.5 in.

Natural M/C 9/21/09 at 8w 1d baby measured 6w 3d

DS2 - 7/13/10 10 lb 2.5 oz. 21.5 in

DD1 - 9/21/12 9 lbs 4 oz. 22.5 in 

Baby #4 due Spring of 2014!

• Options
    Grew up in a Desitin house and we put that sh*t on everything. (See sunburn home remedies post). But my grandparents get free OTCs from their insurance every month and have given my tubes and tubes travel size "Dr. Sheffield's Diaper Rash Ointment." Looks like a generic Desitin, and it's what we'll be using lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Not a STM, but from experience with working in an infant day-care, I personally like butt-paste better, but mostly because the texture.

And that, of course, could be all in my head.

Vroom, vroom.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Planning Bio | Married Bio | Blog

• Options

imagediskogurl:
    Grew up in a Desitin house and we put that sh*t on everything. (See sunburn home remedies post). But my grandparents get free OTCs from their insurance every month and have given my tubes and tubes travel size "Dr. Sheffield's Diaper Rash Ointment." Looks like a generic Desitin, and it's what we'll be using lol.

Made me laugh!!  When I was a toddler I decided our nice hardwood floors needed a coat of Desitin on them along with some baby powder to keep the floor from being sticky of course, there is still Desitin in the cracks today that my mom can't seem to get out of the floors!  God help us if LO is anything like I was.

• Options
    We got butt paste as a shower gift. The giver thought it was "SOOO FUNNY". Frankly, I think the actual product sucks. I will stick with desitin.
  • Options
    miss50miss50 member
    I use Butt Paste (little free packet) on me!  Worked great on thighs for heat rash.  So, I'd use that *** on everything!

• Options
    I have and use both but prefer Desitin.
  • Options

neither of those worked for us.

The one that works for our son is triple paste and that is what we will use with #2 as well.  It is a lot more expensive than Destin, but it is worth it IMO.

• Options
    The active ingredient is zinc oxide. Butt paste has a pretty low % of zinc in it. We used desitin in the purple tube-it has the most zinc out of all of them.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    We got a wide variety at our shower. I liked the texture and smell of the Butt Paste better. It was less fishy. Desitin is a must for the shafts and props on our boat when we haul it out. It does a great job keeping sea creature off of those parts for months. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We use Desitin. We have used buttpaste before but it is more expensive, has coupons/sales less often and does the same thing as Desitin. What or how much you use will also depend on your child's sensitivity.

Our DD has VERY sensitive skin. If she isn't changed right after going to the bathroom she gets a little red. If she is left to sit in her wet/dirty diaper she will get bumps. Because of that we use the blue Desitin when she is slightly red or if we know we wont be able to change her right away (like long car rides). We use the purple (extra strength) on those occassions where she gets a rash because we had to take her to a drop off day care or Gmas house and she ends up sitting in her diaper a while. The purple gets rid of the rash faster than the blue for us.

We always keep a tube of Desitin in each diaper bag and the changing table just in case. I would hold off on returning stuff until you know how sensitive your child's skin is. You might burn through the creams pretty quick or you might rarely need them. You wont know until you get through a few weeks.

• Options

Not a STM, but I grew up with A&D. We will be using the Aveeno line of products including diaper rash cream. Several nurses I know (and CNAs) have told me it's the best thing for babies or people who might have allergies. I actually prefer the brand, and just wanted to stick with everything being the same brand. At my shower all the folks who are in the medical field decided to tell me that if I hadn't registered for it they still would have gotten it for me because they think it's the better choice. 

Not really sure if it's THAT much better, but they seem to think so. So I'm just passing on their preferences in case you care. 

• Options
    imageINmommy871278:
    imagemlf625:

I wouldn't stock up on any more than what grandma already gave you, and maybe even return some of those if she gave you more than 1-2 tubes

Can't return it.  She apparently knows someone who works for the company or something.  But I have plenty of friends and family who either just had or will be having babies so if LO can't use it I am sure they will be more than happy to use it.

As long as they sell it, Wal-Mart will take anything back, receipt or not.  I'm a FTM so I don't know one product from the other but if you find you have a preference for Desitin, take it to Wal-Mart and exchange the Butt Paste for it.

• Options
    I thought Butt Paste was awesome for DS. But it sounds like every baby is different.

• Options
    JebergJeberg member

imageilovelife:
    I've only used Desitin and it's always worked so I haven't had a need to try anything else.

This

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

They both have the same primary ingredient AFAIK? 

We used A&D, coconut oil, or a natural stick thing whose name I can't remember.

The one time we used desitin it essentially gave DS a chemical burn (used sparingly and only once), so we have stuck to more gentle things since then.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Manx4Manx4 member
    I received both at my showers and Desitin works so much better for us.  I swear it clears up the diaper rash by the next changing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"