Pregnant after 35

Tell me about your traditions?

I'm Hispanic, so my parents believe in the 40 day rule (you can't leave your house for 40 days)   I'm also catholic so I'm getting grief from my family that I'm going to baptize my child catholic....

Not sure if I can handle being inside the house for 40 days, obviously my mom wants me to be at HER house during the 40 days but that's not reasonable since we are 1hr apart...Do you have traditions? and if so, are you going to follow through with them?

Thanks in advance

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Tell me about your traditions?

• I am hispanic as well and am well aware of the 40 day rule. I am not sure if I can do that. We'll probably have to sneak out every once and a while. Wink I definitely will not be staying with my mother but I suspect that she'll want to be over for a least a few hours everyday.

We will baptize the baby Catholic but not until after Lent. I want him to at least have his first set of shots.  I'll also be buying an azabache pin to place on him as well. My husband is not hispanic but this is something that he's just going to have to deal with (He's Italian and they do something similar).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are Baptist, so we'll have a baby dedication at some point, which is basically when the parents and baby go up to the front of the church and the parents declare that they will raise the baby in a christian home and read a Bible verse they they've picked out for the baby.

As for staying home for 40 days.... ummm.... I'm planning to go back to work after 3 or 4 weeks, so that's not going to happen! With my DS, I recall going out with him when he was about 2 weeks old, and with my DD, I was out on the town with her after less than a week. I do think I might stick around home longer this time, since the baby will be born in the winter. My other two were spring babies, and the weather was beautiful, so I just couldn't stay in the house.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • steverstever member

My parents are both lapsed Irish Catholic hippies so we have no traditions Stick out tongue

• Can't buy baby items until due date is very close (just a few things) and after baby is born. The one I'm looking forward to is having a celebration when baby first laughs. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hubby is PRican and I have not heard this 40-day thing. Thank GOD because I would have to put the kebosh on that right away, we are having an August baby and no way am I keeping him cooped up inside while the weather is nice! I do hear from his mom how I can't take the baby out but then she remembers that she wants us to come visit with the baby right away (they live in FL, we are in NY) so then she shuts up real quick. She is crazy anyway ... I will happily take baby on walks around the block but we are NOT flying for several months. She can drag her butt up here if she wants to meet her "Benito" (not his name, btw).

I actually do love my in-laws but I am kind of over them right now so I'm venting!

I don't think we have any traditions. Guess it's up to us to make our own! I do have my nephew's going-home outfit, and if I can get the spit-up stain out of it, I will use it for our baby's going-home outfit also. I'm on a little bit of a legacy kick - baby will be sleeping in the same bassinet where I slept, with an old hand-crocheted blanket (not during sleeping time!), and I am refurbishing my old wooden toybox for him also. Fun stuff!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a linen hankerchief that I carried for my wedding.  My mom will make it into a baby bonnet that we will put on the baby when we take him/her home from the hospital.  It has a poem with it about how to cut the strings so that the baby or the baby's wife can then carry it for their wedding.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"