Special Needs

I want to cry and scream at the same time

So, we went for our barium swallow test this morning.  DD hadn't had anything to eat since last night at 7:30 (she woke up at 1 am rooting for a comfort nursing, and I didn't want to break the rules of nothing after midnight, so DH and I had to walk with her all night long, because she still comfort nurses all night).  So, that happens.  She screams all morning, because she can't eat, and our appt wasn't until 9:15.  Okay.  Then, we get in to the X ray room, and she won't drink the barium.  Dad holds her.  Mom holds her.  We walk with her.  We take major breaks.  Nothing.  They won't allow her to be in her carseat because of the metal (and, they wanted her on a pillow to see the swallow- which she will only drink in her bouncy chair- I even debated taking it, but of course they couldn't use it).  So, she finally took .5 oz in dad's arms, he practically threw her on the table, and they got a few shots of her stomach- but nothing of her swallowing.  So, probably no info about her reflux or why she won't eat.  Then, the most frustrating thing.  She hadn't eaten in 15 hours- and all the things I have read said they will be famished and down a bottle.  Yeah... not her.  She drank an oz and then was super giggly, like 'okay, i drank some, so leave me the hell alone...'.  I am hoping she will drink more at daycare, but- seriously???  I am so defeated.  I think we may do a scope now.  Not sure, we are waiting the 2 days for the doc to call us back.  I mean, I would be frustrated if it were just one thing- she either didn't drink the barium and we didn't get the swallow study, or she didn't want to have the BM afterwards, but both???  REALLY???  UGH.  Please, dear lord, let this get easier.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I want to cry and scream at the same time

• Let me offer some support!  We had the same experience.  I can laugh about parts of it now, but at the time, it was very stressful.  I remember the nurse telling me, he'll drink the barium, he's hungry.  I told her he wouldn't and she kinda patted my arm in a "honey, I know what I'm talking about kind of way".  He didn't drink it.  I think I got less than an ounce in him after much, much begging, pleading, etc. 

We wound up doing a scope anyways because he had to have a feeding tube placed.  We found out then that he has Eosinophilic Esophagitus, which is an auto immune response to an allergy.  

Good luck and I hope things turn out good for you.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012
  •  I'm sorry! My DS had feeding issues and would pretty much refuse to drink of he couldn't breast feed and I work full time with 12.5 hour shifts. I hope you get answers and some ways to make feeding easier soon. Sorry you are goin through this. Definitely one day at a time and trying not to over analyze too much helped us. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much everyone!  I am ready to pull my hair out some days!  Then I look at her sweet little face, and I realize that I have to appreciate every second I have with her, and not be so frustrated.  I just want to make it better so badly.  I am so mad that I can't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"