August 2011 Moms
Options

Dinner Time

Now that LO is no longer eating baby food we are really trying to eat dinner as a family.  I'm finding it really difficult though to get it all done before bedtime.  By the time I pick up DD, get home, make dinner and actually sit down to eat it, it is either very close to her bedtime or at her bedtime.  I think some of the problem is my DH works a second job three nights of the work week so it's up to me to get it all done.  Is anyone else having a difficult time pulling it all together during the week?  Any ideas/suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dinner Time

• Options
    Prepping as much ahead of time and menu planning can save tons of time during the week.  Do you have a crock pot?  It's nice being able to prepare while Nina is sleeping and then just turn it on.  Also making two batches of a meal and freezing one for later.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We only eat dinner together if it is leftovers, grilled, or crockpotted. Otherwise the babies eat, then we eat after bedtime. I want to eat with them more, but we'll need to plan better...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Like PP said. A lot of meal prep. I usually spend a Saturday or Sunday planning meals, buying groceries, and prepping/freezing meals for the upcoming weeks. This way you don't have to think about what your going to make and prep it on a work day.

The prep days are long and hard but TOTALLY worth it. I find us spending less money on wasted groceries and eating out and the amount of weekday stress it relieves is worth it.

I found some great freezer and crockpot recipes on Pinterest. In the colder months I make a lot of casseroles and crockpot meals. During the warm months I prep meat to grill by trimming fat/make burger patties, putting meat marinades in baggies with the meat and freezing it. The night before I put the meat bags in the fridge, they are completely marinaded and ready for the grill when we get home.

• Options

I SAH and I still have a hard time finding the time to get dinner together until SO gets home from work ~6pm.  I do a lot of prep work in my 'spare' moments - ie naptime, when DS is eating, etc. 

Also we are getting more into leftovers.  SO has always been a fan of leftovers, me - not so much.  But they make dinner incredibly easy, so I will cook something on Sunday that works well as leftovers for Monday and Tuesday if it's enough food.  I did wet burritos yesterday and that is what we will have tonight.  Then tomorrow I will make spahetti and meatballs and we will have that Wednesday night too. 

I've also found that it's easiest if I go into the week with some type of game plan for dinner.  Yesterday before I went grocery shopping I made SO sit down with me and figure out what we are doing for dinners this week.  This week is a bit different because my niece is staying with us starting tomorrow, SO is taking Thursday and Friday off, Wednesday DS and my niece will be staying with my mom for the night (so she will be eating dinner with us Wednesday night).  But our plan for the week is Sunday & Monday Wet burritos, Tuesday & Wednesday Spaghetti and Meatballs, Thursday shrimp and corn on the grill, Friday out to a local restaurant, and Saturday we left open because we don't know if we will still have my niece AND because we like some spontianity with dinner. 

• Options

All the PPers have great tips.  Meal planning is the only way I can get a meal on the table at a reasonable hour, even though I SAH.  I'm not a great meal planner, but even a sketchy outline of meals for the week ahead goes a long way, and then I fill in the blanks as needed.  I'm a big fan of cooking a big meal on a Sunday and utilizing the leftovers in various ways throughout the week.  For example, I'll roast a whole chicken on a Sunday, and then use chicken in meals on Mon & Tues.  Whatever is left I shred and freeze in 2 cup packages to use in future meals.  Or I'll brown 2 pounds of ground beef for tacos and use the leftovers later in the week for burritos or a mexican caserole.  

There are still one or two nights a week that DH and I eat after DD goes to bed because DH doesn't get home until late.  But I just give her dinner and let her hang in the kitchen while I cook.  I figure it's not a big deal as long as we eat together when we can. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Thank you so much for all of the great ideas!  I think I need to get used to the idea of eating more leftovers and just getting myself organized on the weekends for the week ahead. 

I seriously plan on utilizing a lof of these great ideas!

• Options
    I usually spend most of one weekend day in the kitchen, honestly. It is my zen so it doesn't bother me. G will play in the floor with "his cabinet" stuff and I get stuff made /prepped for the week.  When I buy onions/bells/cukes I always chop the whole thing and have it at the ready. When I find meats on bogo I cook it several ways, freeze in small, quick to thaw batches.  Frozen veggies have also become my friend. Just a few things I do to keep dinner time stress-free. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"