VBAC

Travel for VBAC?

I'm not currently pregnant, but I would like to TTC sometime soon. However, in my state, most hospitals ban VBACs and most doctors won't do them because their malpractice insurance won't cover them. There are a few doctors who will do them, but, all of these doctors are at least 1 1/2 hours away. I want to at least try for a VBAC next time, but I know I'll have to travel for it. Has anyone here done this? Do you have any advice? Are you able to have less prenatal appointments or do most prenatal appointments with a local doctor? Also, I should add that I don't really want to do a home birth because the nearest good hospital is 45 minutes away.
Thunder Logo Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Travel for VBAC?

• I was able to VBAC at a local hospital but I know people who have travelled.  I have a friend in another state that has to travel two hours to her hospital she will deliver in.  However, she found local OBs who were willing to take her for appointments so she didn't have to travel that far for every appt.  Not sure if that is an option for you?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I traveled about 35 mins away for my VBAC with DS.  

I'm currently traveling about 50 mins away for my 2VBAC (that's with no traffic, so it could easily get up to 90 mins during rush hour).  

Honestly, if I had to drive 90 mins or longer with no traffic to find a provider, I would look into seeing if I could see a local OB/midwife for the first 6-7 months.  Then I would transfer care to the VBAC provider for the last couple of months.  But that's just me.  Can you call a couple of the VBAC-supportive providers and see if that's an option?  

GL and HTH! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, Ladies. I certainly hope that's an option (seeing someone local then going to the VBAC friendly doc). I feel weird calling and not being pregnant, but it wouldn't hurt. I don't want to be pregnant and only have a few weeks to figure out what to do, so I am trying to make a plan now to ease my mind about having a second child. Like I mentioned, the nearest good hospital is 45 minutes away, so I will have to go at least that far, VBAC or not. I think even if we have to go two hours for prenatal appointments it'll still be worth it.
  • In my special scar group it is not unheard of for people to drive 2 hours away....even 3. Some would start at a closer OB and transfer later in pregnancy. But it is net to impossible to find doctors willing to take special scar VBAC and in Texas midwifes are not allowed to attend home births or birthing center births for special scars. Basically driving is your only choice sometimes! And to me I would say trying for a VBAC is worth the drive for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• I have to travel to have my VBAC. Our hospital is too small to do them. So I am going to a larger hospital about 45 minutes to an hour away. It is worth it for us.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD was born in a hospital 45 minutes from here, and is really my nearest option, c/s or not. But I get a little more concerned with traveling 2 hours (not factoring traffic). I'm not sure about the logistics of it all, but we'll figure something out. Thanks, I just want to hear (or hear about) someone who's been there and how it worked out. I'm hoping when the time comes, maybe I could leave in early labor and stay at a hotel until I'm ready to go to the hospital.
  • imageTimshel17:
    I'm hoping when the time comes, maybe I could leave in early labor and stay at a hotel until I'm ready to go to the hospital.

This is actually what we plan to do, depending on how slow/fast labor becomes.  My doula recommended we head to either a hotel by the hospital to labor or to just labor in the super plush and cozy hospital lobby before going in to be admitted.  I think it's a great idea! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"