Two Under 2
Options

3 under 14 months (intro)

I've posted on the multiples board, but thought I might get some good insight here as well. My daughter will be 10 months next week, and I am expecting twins at the end of November. I'll be taking 3 months maternity leave from work, but hubby can only take 2 weeks. Any tips how to stay sane? I know it will be rough the first few months, and when I realize these babies could arrive in as little as three months, the anxiety is kicking in! To reduce some stress, I've already organized closet, dresser, etc and have bottles/pump accessories ready to go. Any suggestions on what else I can do to prepare? I'm also worried about how I will actually manage to care for two infants while having to chase around a 1 year old while hubby is at work...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 3 under 14 months (intro)

• Options

I had two under 15 months when my second child was born.  One thing I did that really helped was to stock up my freezer with easy meals for dinner.  I found 'once a month cooking' recipes online that I used.  It's hard enough making sure your kid's needs are met and there is clean laundry and bottles that cooking is the last priority.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    smerkasmerka member

My parents gave us the gift of a babysitter/nanny/mommy's helper.  She was with us for four months and the number of days per week varied.  It was the best gift ever and kept me same those first sleepless months.

My other advice would be to have an area of your house completely babyproofed so that you can leave a kid alone for a few minutes to change a diaper, use the bathroom, etc without too much worry.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

mine are 16 months apart but I was on my own from day 1 (DH was even working remotely while I was in labor)

If you live in a 2-story house have everything you need on both floors. Downstairs I had a PnP with changing table attachment. I also had DD's diapers, wipes, and extra clothing for each kid. I really couldn't trust going upstairs and leaving them alone for 2 seconds, and didn't want to haul everyone up for a diaper change.

I also wished I had a swing on both floors. I had the RnP and PnP but overall it was hard to make sure DD didn't throw things in the PnP, or help "push" the swing. The baby hardly ever stayed asleep downstairs but I think if I had a swing he would have....he only slept in the swing. 

I would prepare everything for DD the night before for meals. I would saran-wrap the plate so breakfast, lunch, dinner was already on a plate and all I needed to do was put it in the microwave. I was so tired I hardly ate.

If you can get a cleaning lady DO!!! even once a month. I didn't and my house was a disaster. It was a good day if I did 1  load of laundry and loaded the dishwasher in the beginning. I had family who would do drive-by cleaning. They felt bad, i guess, so they would come by on the way to work and just sweep my floors  say hi and leave!

Strollers....I have a friend in your situation but her older child was 20 months when the twins were born. She got a double BOB and her older child sits on the front (not really a 3rd seat but he fits). I think your LO will be too young for this. I guess your best bet is doing a double and wearing/holding one kid or I have the city select with glider board. I have had both seats and one kid (nephew) standing on the back so 3 kids total.  If DH is with you just bring a single stroller with the older kid and double with twins. 

Congrats and feel free to ask anything or vent here! I learned so much from the women on this board in the beginning and although most of the first year is just a blur things are much better now.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I hadn't even thought about planning ahead meals, and I love the idea of having older sib meals ready to go in the fridge for the next day. Thank you :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"