Minnesota Babies

Baby Class

So DH has never been around babies and really doesn't know much about what to do or not to do. I was thinking it would be good for us to go to a class that could teach us (but really just him) how to diaper, burp, hold, etc... the baby. I could teach him all this but honestly think it would be better coming from someone else and in a class setting. So is this sort of stuff covered in a birthing class or should I search around for another class specifically that teaches this sort of stuff? If you have any recommendations that would be great too. Thanks!!

BTW - I'm in the south metro by Burnsville, Lakeville, Apple Valley....that area. Smile

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
"On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Baby Class

• My husband and I took Baby Care Basics from Amma Parenting Center as part of the "Ready for Baby" class package. I thought the class was helpful, but two hours seemed to short to cover all the basics of feeding, diapering, bath, car seats, etc. Therefore, I would definitely recommend taking this class independently, and not as part of the Breastfeeding and Baby Care or All In One. I'm not sure of other places that offer baby care classes.

FWIW, my husband and I were both very much newbies to taking care of a baby. Neither of us had experience with it before, so I suppose the class was helpful for us both get some information in advance. However, now that we've had our baby for a month, I think nothing can really beat the on the job training we got after he was born. Newborns are demanding, but have very simple needs, and the staff in the hospital will help either of you learn what you need to know while practicing on your newborn. IMO, the most difficult part of learning how to care for a baby is to learn what his cries mean and what he needs each time - and every baby is different, so you really can't prepare in advance for that.

Good luck! 

• My DH had never even held a baby. But once he had DS he was completely hands on and a quick with hands on training. We didn't take any classes. Congrats and good luck!

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"