Special Needs

Last week in EI

For those who have aged out, did you get anything for your LO's therapists? I gave small gifts during the holidays. Would they be offended if I did not? (I was recently laid off and things are tight.)

And I'm not sure how to explain why he won't see them any longer.  Do I say something in advance or just tell him why if he asks? (He went from a 33% delay in expressive language to scoring slightly above age level and his receptive language is even better.) And I'M going to miss his therapists--even though they all have given me contact info to keep in touch.

He still has some sensory issues that I will see about working on privately as well as gross motor/motor planning but, for now, I am putting speech on the hold per his SLP as she feels his remaining issues are age appropriate (W's for L's, dropping S before scared or squirrel).  He was evaluated by the school district, but I am doubtful he will qualify--which is good... right?

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: Last week in EI

• My DS ages out in a week, too.  We've somewhat had a countdown going.  I'll say, you will only see so-and-so 2 more times, etc.

And this is what I'm making for his therapists:

https://gigglesgalorenmore.blogspot.com/2011/05/thanks-for-helping-me-grow-teacher.html

I'm not doing gift cards, though.  I'm just going to write them a thank you note.  I've taken a few pictures with my DS working with them in the last few weeks so I'm going to include those as well.  My other thought was for DS to make them some craft.  I think if money is tight, they don't need anything, but a nice thank you note would be appropriate.

And yes, it's good if he doesn't qualify with the school.  My DS did qualify, but we weren't sure since he's made so much progress in the last 6 months.  His IEP was written at the beginning of June and he's already starting to show he can do part of one of his goals. Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone.  Yeah, I haven't heard back from the school district yet. I guess wait and see for now. I'm not sure how much they'll consider his sensory issues as they are mostly mild, despite sensitivity to noise.

And I haven't taken any pics of them together. I wish I had... and I will next week, at least for myself.  But I'll give thank you notes and print pictures of Aaron for them.

• Loading the player...
  • This was a good question, I have been thinking about the same thing. We have a month left. We haven't ever done any gifts though, but I would like to say thanks somehow for all the effort they have put into DD.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If money is tight, I think a thank you card with a thoughtful, hand written note is more than adequate. I don't think you *need* to give them anything. I'm sure some acknowledgement of their hard work is all they really want.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I decided to write a thank you note for each therapist--3 are from the same agency--and include a photo of my son with them.  I am feeling really sad, even though I am glad he has come so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"