August 2011 Moms
Options

Are you worried about spicy food?

Our dinner last night was the first time we served DS something spicy. I am a big whimp. Most mild sauces are hot for me. Dinner last night was not too spicy, but it definitely had a kick. Although cautious, we served it to him. He seemed to like it. He wasn't acting like it was too spicy. But how would I know what's too spicy for him and what's not?

What do you do about spicy? Has your LO ever indicated something was too hot? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are you worried about spicy food?

• Options

I made chili the other night, and O started coughing.  He wasn't gagging on anything, so I assumed it was because it was just too spicy.  I took it away and served him lasagna instead.

The coughing/gagging is sometimes an indicator that something is too spicy.   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

But how would I know what's too spicy for him and what's not? I would think he would spit it out or even cry. I am pretty sure if he does not like it you will know.

What do you do about spicy? I am believer of trying it all. Our LO loves spicy lol. The way I see it if he spits it out over and over then he does not care for it but I will try it at least 5x's to see if he changes his mind.

Has your LO ever indicated something was too hot? I take it you mean in taste and not temperature. No I have yet to notice if our LO does not like something spicy.

*I was a fanatic of Spicy food when pregnant. So like DH says our LO loves the caliente lol Smile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD loves her food to have a great taste, bland food are out of the question. 

My sister cooked one night, and served DD chicken before I was able to eat mine. I took a bite and it was pretty darn hot.(I am a whimp, so it could have been okay.) She LOVED it and swiped some off my plate. Even though she loved it... it gave her a realllly bad diaper rash. 
    image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm a wimp...even mild salsa can sometimes be too much for me.  But my child will eat salsa by the handful if we let him.  So no, I don't worry and I just give him whatever I'm eating...and he seems fine with it.

Last night, our lasagna had a little kick to it (just a little from the sausage or something), and he kind of stuck his tongue out when it touched his tongue...but then he went back for more, then drank some water, then more and more, then water.  He managed fine.

I would think he could communicate to you if something bothered him (spice-wise), by spitting it out, coughing, and/or whining a bit.  And a little milk would take the heat out of it and you could offer him something else.  I think it's fine (and good!) to offer a wide variety of flavors at this age!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    eesomeeesome member
    Lydia LOVES spicy foods, and so did Quentin. I was worried at first, but after I saw her slam some crushed red pepper chili and some taco meat, I figured she was good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

He eats what we eat.  We eat foods from a variety of countries and styles, and eat some spicy dishes and some that are just flavorful.  I don't feed him Vindaloo, but I'd give him something a step down.  He loves spicy things and would turn up his nose at mild salsa if I gave it to him (as he should). 

Originally, I gave him milder things and then worked him up to more heat.  Heck, I have to do that if I want to eat full throttle Vindaloo, so I figured it'd help him too.  Speaking of Vindaloo, people in other countries feed their kids spicy foods all the time, so kids can handle it.  We just seem to want to make our kids wimpy here. 

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    DH and I are wimpy mcwimpersons when it comes to spicy foods so since we don't eat spicy DD most likely won't eat spicy until she can ask for it.  But I am not opposed to a family member giving her something a bit spicy.  I would just watch to see if she didn't like it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

I am a little worried/wimpy about this, myself, but I'm trying to ease up because DD really dislikes bland food and enjoys flavor.  DH and I like a lot of spice, particularly garlic, and I always think the way we prepare certain foods may be a little too much for her just yet. However, DD has made a face and spit something out when the flavor was too strong or tart (i.e. a really tart cherry tomato, very garlicky alfredo sauce) so I do feel confident that if she does not like the flavor of something, she will let us know. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My H can't handle spicy, so we don't really do spicy foods. But even if we did, I still try to hold off on giving DD things that have too much seasoning, so I probably wouldn't give her anything really spicy.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't care for many spicy foods but I have noticed if I consider it spicy, Lincoln still likes it. He must get it from his father. 
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"