LGBT Parenting
Options

TTC, HELP!!!

My partner and I are trying to conceive. I have been to the dr and he said I am pretty healthy, other than my slight overweightness that I am working on. We have a donor, her gay cousin, and we want a baby now!!! We did a ton of research on how to inseminate at home and we have been doing our best. I have been tracking my cycle for the past 2 years on my phone and I have transfered the info to other programs and they are all the same so I pretty much have my ovulation cycle down. The problem is that everyone is telling us what to do to get pregnant and it is all different! We inseminated last month on the 3rd day of high fertility and I had a weak period but the tests show negative. We inseminated 2 day ago, 2 days before ovulation, and are trying tonight. My big question... Should I orgasm after the sperm is in me? Thats it, my big question... HELP!

Re: TTC, HELP!!!

• Options

Do you have the yellow book?  It is by Stephanie Brill and really put all of my questions to rest about the process. That book recommends orgasming after sperm is injected.

Are you using ovulation predictors? I used the cheapo strips from Amazon and that really helped to pinpoint exactly when I was fertile. I have a regular cycle, but I wasn't always ovulating on day 14. I used them to track patterns for about 4 months before we started trying to actually get pregnant. Basal body temp didn't work well for me (worked great for others though), so OPK really put my mind at ease. Just a suggestion if you are trying to get preggo as efficiently as possible!  

Good luck!  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

If the phone apps did not track your basal body temperature, they were worthless for figuring out ovulation because they assume you ovulate on the "average" day 14.  Many women don't -- I have never ovulated earlier than day 16, and it has usually been 19 or 20.  So if you aren't tracking your temps or using OPKs, it is possible that you are not inseminating during your fertile window.  You can also track cervical mucous -- the book suggested will discuss this, I think, as will the tutorials for Fertility Friend (online) and the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Also, it can take a healthy woman up to a year to conceive...so the fact that you have not conceived after 1 or 2 cycles does not mean anything is wrong!

I can't help you with the orgasm question...I've done all my inseminations in a clinic and I'm not getting off on the exam table.  I have heard it can be helpful.

Good luck to you.

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Phone apps cannot predict ovulation, they just can't.

The Wondfo brand OPK (ovulation predictor kits) are dirt cheap and available on Amazon.  They will tell you when you're about to ovulate, which tells you when to inseminate.

And yes, orgasming after insemination can have a gentle "sucking" effect, pulling the sperm up into your cervix.

I found Brill's book a bit wacky and at times unscientific (for example, she suggests everyone gets an additional fertile day when the moon is in the same phase as the day you were born... wtf?)  But I definitely recommend "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" (a book available in stores and on Amazon).  It's well-written and explains everything in a scientific yet accessible way.

Good luck to you both.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options
    imagemypalbabs:

I found Brill's book a bit wacky and at times unscientific (for example, she suggests everyone gets an additional fertile day when the moon is in the same phase as the day you were born... wtf?)  But I definitely recommend "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" (a book available in stores and on Amazon).  It's well-written and explains everything in a scientific yet accessible way.

I also read Taking Charge of your Fertility. That's a great one! Tons of info that will surprise you. We should all have been forced to read it when we were like 13. Brill's book does have a lot of new-agey stuff, but in the middle of that there is good info specific for lesbians (which is hard to find).  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"