Eco-Friendly Family
Options

What is the best way to store food in freezer?

Hi Ladies,

I want to start making and freezing meals (make 2...eat one freeze one). But everything I'm reading suggests to freeze in plastic bags/wraps/etc. 

What do you guys use if you freeze meals (and how long is it good for)?  I really want to make helathy/safe meals but dont want to spend the extra money on organic and time cooking to just ruin in when I go to freeze it.

Am I being overly paranoid or are there good options available? 

Thanks!! 

Re: What is the best way to store food in freezer?

• Options

I usually freeze in ziploc bags or special "freeze canning" plastic jars. Granted, I'm just starting to be EF and am not super hardcore, but I had always heard that the problems with plastics really only kicked in if you heat the food in a plastic container.

I'd be interested to hear others' opinions! 

• Options
    I use one of the home vacuum sealing thingies, so mine is frozen in the plastic.  I don't cook it in there though.  I'll just thaw it out enough to get it out of the bag and then cook it in something else.  I haven't found a solution for the casseroles yet though.  I don't want to buy a whole bunch of pans that will just go in my freezer, so I do get the disposable aluminum ones.  :/  at least they're recyclable.
    image  image  image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTeneniel:
    I use one of the home vacuum sealing thingies, so mine is frozen in the plastic.  I don't cook it in there though.  I'll just thaw it out enough to get it out of the bag and then cook it in something else.  I haven't found a solution for the casseroles yet though.  I don't want to buy a whole bunch of pans that will just go in my freezer, so I do get the disposable aluminum ones.  :/  at least they're recyclable.

Ditto this! We use the foodsaver system  and vacuum seal stuff that I make or buy in large quantities! I also make little baggies and vacuum seal individual portions of baby food

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageamysue0828:

Hi Ladies,

I want to start making and freezing meals (make 2...eat one freeze one). But everything I'm reading suggests to freeze in plastic bags/wraps/etc. 

What do you guys use if you freeze meals (and how long is it good for)?  I really want to make helathy/safe meals but dont want to spend the extra money on organic and time cooking to just ruin in when I go to freeze it.

Am I being overly paranoid or are there good options available? 

Thanks!! 

I buy throw-away aluminum containers from the dollar store. They come with lids, come in different shapes, and are usually 2-3/$1. The longest expiration date for one of the recipes I've made is 3 months, and they seem to do well lasting that long. You can write directly on the lid with a marker, and it's also good if you want to give to a friend/neighbor. They can go straight in the oven.

HTH!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Chinet makes paper trays that you can use in the oven. I put the meal in his and then out those in a freezer bag. Or I use the glad ware that you can use in the oven and put those in a freezer bag. 
    I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"