Special Needs

Sensory Box

I am thinking of turning our sand/water table into a sensory box. I cannot decide what to use as the base or neutral primary element. I don't want to use water because the porch is painted and if they spill out the water they'll slip, they lack the impulse control to not throw sand at each other. And I don't want to use food because that would attract bugs. And suggestions? They don't have issues with mouthing on things so size isn't too big of a concern.  
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Sensory Box

• Aquarium rocks (although if they are throwing sand, this is probably out too)

Packing peanuts 

• Loading the player...
  • imageJcrab:
    Bird seed?

just lurking here, but we use Oats all the time for play.  if she eats them, no big deal.  my neighbor uses dry beans.  but really anything could be thrown at each other unless you nail it down.  maybe fake/artificial grass, or a layer of really fluffy soft fabric/fleece could be glued down or something? 

• Bird seed is a great idea, also you can do rice, lentils, beans of different types.
  • I think I am going to try dried beans. They really like to throw sand and aren't as bad with anything else. Thanks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Rice, it's cheap and you can color it using alcohol and food coloring to make it more interesting. If you google colored rice you can find a link I lost mine. 
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"