Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Bright Red bleeding more than a week after birth

Hi Ladies.I have a question about the lochia/bleeding after birth. I had a vaginal delivery last Tuesday (July 10th) and since have experienced pretty heavy bright red bleeding. I had a second degree tear as well as a side tear that had to be stitched.

Is it normal to still be bleeding bright red and pretty constant over a week after giving birth? I am pretty sure the doctor on call told me at discharge that the bleeding can pick up btw 7 and 10 days for some reason but I had so many people telling me things at discharge I am not sure what I was told.

Is anyone else experiencing this or know if it is normal to still be bleeding bright red and not changing to a darker brownish color yet?

Thanks Ladies

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bright Red bleeding more than a week after birth

• Options
    I think it's normal but if you're concerned you could always call your doctor.  I bled pretty heavily for just over a week but I still bleed when I breastfeed almost 4 weeks later. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • Options
    I delivered July 13th and had a second degree tear as well as a side tear (sounds similiar to you) and I started having bright red bleeding again as of yesterday.  I'm going to wait it out for a few days.  My lower abdomen/pelvic area started feeling a little sore yesterday as well.  Are you experiencing that also?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

sounds normal, but if you're experiencing pain, strange odour, or light headedness, you need to head into the doctor to get yourself checked out.

My first pregnancy was like this and I bled for nearly the entire 6 weeks...not bright red, but definite bleeding. Everyone and every pregnancy is different.

Congrats on the new baby :D

claudia poirier
    Little Dude: 16 Apr. 2009 | Little Doll: 10 Jun. 2012

• Options
    I bled pretty heavily for about three weeks then if I bled at all it was very minor, barely worth using a panty liner.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I bled bright red for 4.5 weeks pp. It was really heavy for the first 3 weeks, and then became more like a regular period. I was told to look for large clots or filling more than a pad an hour as signs that I needed to be seen. My doctor wasn't at all concerned that I bled for that amount of time, and he said most women bleed an average of 4 weeks, despite what we read. 

With that said, obviously if you're concerned, call your OB to make sure. 

"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight."
    BabyFruit Ticker}
    BFP #1: 6/10/11 Natural m/c 6/20/11
    BFP #2: 8/30/11 Vanishing Twin diagnosed at 8 weeks, DS born 5/6/12 
    BFP #3: 5/24/14 stick, baby, stick! Beta 1 (16dpo): 645, Beta 2 (18dpo): 1652
    Heartbeat 179 at 8w5d grow, baby, grow!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    normal - make sure that you are resting & not over doing it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had bright read heavy bleeding for 3-4 weeks after birth then it stopped for 2-3 weeks again and then I started a normal period. I think it sounds completely normal but I would definitely call the doctor if you are concerned!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"