Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Another PT post from me

We did the 3 day method this past weekend.  He didn't quite get it by day 3, had no accidents on day 4 (yesterday) and wanted NOTHING to do with the potty today.  It was a huge power struggle all day and my 8 month-old has gotten very little attention this week.  I'm thinking of throwing in the towel, but I'm not sure if it sends the wrong message.  Also, I'm not sure how I will know when he is actually ready because he showed all the signs this time and even asked for the underwear.  I am at a complete loss.  Any advice?  Thanks for reading!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!

Re: Another PT post from me

• Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    Keep at it.  Be consistent.  As I said before, we're on WEEK three after doing the three DAY method.  If we ask him if he has to go pee, the answer is always no.  Unless we tell him it's time to go, then he goes, like before we go tot he store. or something.  He is vehemently against pooping in the potty, so that is a struggle for us.  This was our second attempt at PTing and he has done great, I think.  You just have to be patient.  I think the 3-Day method is misleading.  Obviously it works for some people, but not everyone's child fits that mold.  But for us, weve made the most progress with it, so we're keeping it up.  It's super frustrating though, I agree!
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD started showing signs of being ready around Christmas so we tried in February, which I didn't think was ideal because she wasn't even 2 yet.  The 1st 2 days she did great, then it was a total mess.  We'd put her on the potty, she'd go, 5 min later she'd go in her pants.  After 2 days of that we gave up.   She started taking off her diaper and asking to be changed about 2 months ago.  Again I didn't think it was an ideal time because I had a 2 week old, but I went with it and she's done great.  I think if he's really not getting and and fighting it for a few days, it's time to give it up for a while.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We tried the 3 day method when DS was 23 months.  He seemed ready at first but day two he would have a major meltdown everytime we went in the bathroom.  I gave up because I didn't want him to feel like that when it was tome to use the bathroom.  Now 4 months later he does great bare bottom but put undies on him and he has a little accident. We will get there!  Hang in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We tried the 3DPT around 2 for S, it was a complete disaster. She is incredibly independent (ie stubborn) and everything has to be HER idea. So we went back to pull-ups. In March (she was about 30 months) she came in from playing outside and told me she had to go pee...so we ran to the potty and she peed. I went on and on about how great that was. Went back to cooking, she went back out to play. About 10 minutes later, she came back in and said she had to poop. I was kind of wary because normally she tells me...AFTER the fact. So I checked her really quickly, saw nothing, so we ran to the potty...she pooped! Seriously, from that day on, she has had maybe 2 accidents. When it clicks with them, it clicks. You will hear a million different versions of that, but honestly, pushing them to potty when they just are not ready...is useless and stressful for the both of you. They will let you know, I promise. It doesn't send any wrong or right message if you want to wait a couple more months to try. I felt I was 'giving in' to her, when in fact, I was just letting her be the 2 year old that she was and let her go at her own pace. Hang in there! It'll happen! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    After your last post, I'm sad to read this. Yesterday was day 3 for us and I don't feel like she's gotten it yet. We're sticking with it and I'm hoping today is better. Good luck!
  • Options

My theory is that each kid has a certain age which they are ready to be potty trained. You can start then, and it will take a few days. Or you can start earlier, and it will take up until that age.

DD2 pretty much potty trained herself this week. I'm using pull ups or diapers. She tells me when she has to go, and she goes on the potty. I wasn't planning to start this early, but she apparently had other plans. For us using pull ups makes it a no pressure method. They are as easy to use as underwear, and if she has an "accident", I don't have to worry about clean up.

My personal readiness sign is when DC starts telling you when they have to go. About 3 weeks ago, DD2 started telling us. She used the potty pretty much one whole day, and then stopped for the rest of the week. Then the next week she'd use it occasionally but sometimes forget to tell us. This week she's been using the potty probably 95% of the time.

Potty training isn't a battle I'm willing to fight, and it's not something I want taking up all of my time. I'm okay with using pull ups and having it take longer to train, although I know some people aren't. Kids all end up potty trained eventually, no matter what method you use.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

imageAdriamichelle83:
    We tried the 3DPT around 2 for S, it was a complete disaster. She is incredibly independent (ie stubborn) and everything has to be HER idea. So we went back to pull-ups. In March (she was about 30 months) she came in from playing outside and told me she had to go pee...so we ran to the potty and she peed. I went on and on about how great that was. Went back to cooking, she went back out to play. About 10 minutes later, she came back in and said she had to poop. I was kind of wary because normally she tells me...AFTER the fact. So I checked her really quickly, saw nothing, so we ran to the potty...she pooped! Seriously, from that day on, she has had maybe 2 accidents. When it clicks with them, it clicks. You will hear a million different versions of that, but honestly, pushing them to potty when they just are not ready...is useless and stressful for the both of you. They will let you know, I promise. It doesn't send any wrong or right message if you want to wait a couple more months to try. I felt I was 'giving in' to her, when in fact, I was just letting her be the 2 year old that she was and let her go at her own pace. Hang in there! It'll happen! 

I agree with this completely.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"