Success after IF
Options

IVF with PGD questions

We haven't decided if we want a 3rd child or not but if we do we are going to go the route of IVF with PGD

If you've done this, did you have results in time for a 3 or 5 day transfer?  Right now it takes us 4 weeks to get a targeted mutation analysis on blood DNA so I'm not sure how it works with IVF.

Do we have to do IVF and then freeze the embryos while they wait for results?

What do they do with the embryos that are determined to have genetic issues?

Can you donate remaining healthy embryos? 

Is the IVF procedure similar when you don't have fertility issues?  (DH and I have no problem getting pregnant, but I can't make healthy babies.  I am a carrier of a severe genetic mutation that causes DS1 to be physically and intellectually disabled and DS2 is exhibiting a few of the same traits so we're waiting on his DNA results)

I know we could find out these answers by just having a consultation but we're still just exploring our thoughts/feelings/opinions on IVF.

TIA ladies! 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: IVF with PGD questions

• Options

We did not but we considered it.   It would be done as an FET, because you cannot (at least not at my clinic) get those kind of tests done in a few days.  So yes, you'd do a regular IVF cycle up through the retrieval, you just wouldn't need any of the progesterone or steriods after since you aren't doing a fresh transfer.  

For the most part, your IVF would be the same as someone with infertility, because the process still remains the same, but your medication levels might be a little lower or fewer days that someone with poor egg quality.   

You can donate healthy embryos, you'd want to talk to your fertility clinic prior to cycling, as not all clinics work with donors directly, so you might have to transfer them somewhere else for donation.   It will most likely be up to you as to what you want done with the genetically imbalanced ones, either destroy or donate to science.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

In our case, neither DH or I have any known fertility issues. However we are both carriers for Sickle Cell and didn't want to risk having a child with the disease so we did IVF with PGD...

Before the IVF procedure (drugs etc.) our blood was drawn and it took a few weeks for the initial genetic analysis to be completed. After that, I went through the routine IVF procedure.

They harvested 27 eggs, 20 fertilized and a few cells were removed from each of the 20 on day 2. The samples were sent overnight for analysis in another state and we had the results faxed in time for a day 5 transfer.

Some of the samples were contaminated so they gave us a result for those embryos but without 100% accuracy. Some were positive for the trait, some had the disease and some were completely normal.

In the end, we had 3 "normal embryos" implanted and 5 frozen (two with the trait and 2 normal).

The rest did not continue to develop so we didn't have to deal with making decisions about what to do afterwards. I think its completely up to you what happens with any remaining embryos.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision! :) 

TTC since March 2010 BFP: 10/12/2010 Beta #1 (10/15/2010 14 DPO): 498 Beta #2 (10/18/2010 17 DPO): 2000 1st Ultrasound : 11/03/2010 -- Three heart beats!!! WOW! u/s & NT Scan: (12/14/2010): 12 wks 4 days: Lost Baby C :( A and B Strong & Healthy! Anatomy Scan 01/28/2011: Its A Boy AND a Girl!!! :)Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jcathjcath member

We did IVF with PGD but we were not known carriers of anything.  My RE prefers to do a biopsy at day 5 and immediately freeze the embryos and then you do a frozen transfer the following month.

A friend of mine was planning to do it for her last IVF and her RE's procedure was to biopsy the 3 day embryo and transfer at day 5..but again they weren't looking for something specific.

I don't think the IVF procedure will be any different for you - they want you to take lots of stims b/c you'll need a good number of eggs to be successful at getting them all fertilized and biopsied and frozen and then thawed.

I think it will depend on your RE practice if you can donate the embryos you don't need but for the embryos that major chromosomal defects - they just thaw them and leave them in the lab and they stop growing.

Best of luck. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejcath:

A friend of mine was planning to do it for her last IVF and her RE's procedure was to biopsy the 3 day embryo and transfer at day 5..but again they weren't looking for something specific.

This is how it was for me, but we weren't looking for anything specific.

Good luck! 

*P/SAIFW* TTC since 1/08 Clomid, 2 IUIs, 4 IVFs, FET 7 losses Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There is a group on facebook IVF with PGD support Group. There is a few girls there that have done IVF with PGD to help answer questions. Anyone that is interested should join. Just type IVF with PGD Support Group in the search bar on facebook.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"